Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Another Bone scan question

I saw your recent answer to a bone scan question.  I recently had a bone scan.  When my onc got the results, he phoned me and sent me to a radiation onc.  The radiation onc showed me the films.  The areas of "concern" showed up as bright white areas, kind of like little stars or suns.  The kidney area did show up dark.  The radiation onc said these were bone mets.  (I have previously been diagnosed with liver mets.)  A previous bone scan done in January 2002 did not show these little bright white spots, but it did show a somewhat darkened area on my skull which was larger on this last bone scan.  So now, I'm confused.  If mets are supposed to show as dark areas, why did mine not appear like this?  I have developed pains which would be consistent with bone mets.  Thanks.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear shantimari, The bone scan should be interpreted by a radiologist, some of the variations in color or how disease shows up may be according to the setting preferences of the place where it is being done. Without actually seeing the film and what was pointed out as an abnormality, it's hard to say for sure.  Were the star like areas pointed out as the abnormalities?  Sometimes starlike areas are artifact on a film and do not represent abnormalities.
Helpful - 0
I forgot to mention that were quite a few of these bright white areas, several on the spine, on the upper leg, etc.  Thanks.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.