Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

post-operative ca 27.29 marker test

My 31 yr old wife was diagnosed 4/02 w/invasive breast cancer.  ER-/PR-, her2-, abnormal diff. grade iii/iii, tumor was 3.5 cm when removed via lumpectomy.  Bone scan, CAT scan came back clear and no lymph nodes, total of 13 including sentinel node, were positive for cancer.  She had a ca 27.29 blood test done 2 weeks after surgery and the results came back at 87.  This test was taken one week before she started her AC chemo regimen.  We are in hell right now because of our fear of mets.  The doctor said this could be a lag in the post-op decrease of this tumor marker.  My wife also had our second daughter in 2/02.  Are there instances of post-op high tumor markers and how worried should we be?  Please help we thought we were over the hump for a little while and now we are back to sleepness nights and fear.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am 53yrs old. I was diagnosed with right breast cancer in 1986.
I had radiation for 9 weeks. 4 yrs later IT returned. I had surgery again, not only for the cancer but the radiation fried four of my ribs. They were also removed. I have had surgeries just to remove scar tissue. 4 yrs later--the "C" came back again and I had to have a masectomy. That took 4 more surgeries because they didn't think I was clean. Long story short- Radiaton, Chemo- twice, 24 surgeries since 1986. Tomorrow, 7-31-2002 to go back for the PET scan. My blod scan has increased 27 points in 6 months. Those of you that read this. Pray for me. I'm a "tuff" old bird and I'm not going to give up. God Bless You All.  Plz respond if your heart leads you to.  My name is Linda
Helpful - 0
Dear manson, The CA27.29 blood test is a nonspecific marker for breast cancer.  It's use as a tumor marker at this time remains controversial, mainly because we do not have clear answers as to how the information will best be used, and what it means in the overall picture of breast cancer.  At this point your wife is receiving adjuvant treatment, meaning treatment given in case there is microscopic spread of the tumor.  Even if the elevated CA27.29 was due to microscopic cancer spread(which we don't know if it is) your wife is getting the correct treatment for the situation.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.