Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Redness, but no lump, rash, or pain

For the past 2 days, I've noticed an oblong red area on the right side of my right breast (about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long).  It possibly feels a tad warm though.  I'm 41, and gave birth 8 years ago.  During breastfeeding I had a serious case of mastitis in my left breast.  2 years ago I had a large lump in the same area of this redness (right breast)....had a mammogram which was inconclusive, then an ultrasound.  The results showed normal breast tissue.  Anyway, I'm concerned and wonder if you can shed some light on what it might be.  Thanks so much for your help.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Talk to your doctor-your symptoms could be a number of benign breast disorders but there is something called inflammatory breast cancer where there are no lumps because the tumor shells grow in sheets or nests. It's often misdiagnosed as mastitis.  Mention it to your doctor if the redness and warmth continues.  Check out this website for more info: www.ibcresearch.org.
Helpful - 0
Dear willad, It is difficult to say, without being able to ask questions and see what is being described.  Is there any pain? Any recent prolonged pressure to the area such as sleeping on your arm? Any recent injury?  If this continues, worsens and causes you concern you should have it checked out by a health care professional or discuss with your doctor who can ask you questions, and evaluate further as needed.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.