Aa
A
A
Close

Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Forum

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

81 - 100 (of 254) questions
NEWEST
ACTIVE
I am a 58 yr. old male, 6 ft. 168 lbs, non smoker, non drinker, exercise regularly, normal cholestrol, but have a 25 yr. history of PVC's, to include episodes of bigeminy , trigeminy, etc. In the past 20 years, I have probably had at lea...
  Posted
My father’s A1C is 6.0 on his last test blood test. This seems to be a pretty good value. However, his serum glucose during the day is not so great. My understanding is that every time your sugar spikes, your hemoglobin becomes gly...
  Posted
I am a 59 yr. old male, 6 ft. 168 lbs, non-drinker, non-smoker, non-caffeine user, with a 30 year history of PVC's. They range at times from bigeming to several a minute. then, at times, i won't feel any for hours. I have had numerous EK...
  Posted
I ran for 18.5 minutes on a bruce protocol and hit100 % of my max HR as part o a stress echo. My understanding is the a SE is only about 88% as good as an angiogram for picking up a significant bleockage (70% blockage in someone who can...
  Posted
Hello! I have a question about my lab results. I am a 35 year old female. No medical problems, not overweight, do not drink, smoke ect. Try to live a "clean" lifestyle. Although I do suffer alot of stress and have anxiety issues. I had m...
  Posted
I am on 41 year male with strong family history of early CAD. I recent saw a cardiologist. My LDL was 80 and HDL was 50 with a total of 160 and an LDL pattern of A/B. Also, my CRP =2. The cardiologist put me on 10mg of Lipitor. afte...
  Posted
Although I have low LDL without statin therapy, I started a statin because of significant family history. Recent evidence seems to point to very low LDL (<70) being even better than low LDL (<100). More recently JUPITOR showed that <50...
  Posted
I'm an age-47 male thyroid patient (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) . A heart murmur was detected in my teens thought to be Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome (1970s). In 2001 (25 years later), a cardiologist ruled-out WPWS with an EKG. I did not...
  Posted
(40 year old male) - I had an echo completed about 6 months ago showing an mildly enlarged left ventrical. Left ventrical at 60mm, with normal EF. An MRI was also done - all of test taken indicated a normal heart other than the enlargem...
  Posted
Certain laboratories offer a cholesterol panel that breaks down LDL different patterns (ie, pattern A, pattern B, pattern A/B) and HDL into HDL2 and HDL3 as well as other subfractions of VLDL and Lp(a). These laboratories state that thi...
  Posted
How do you view a reduction in both LDL and HDL? I have heard that the risk of CAD goes down proportionately with the decrease in LDL. That is, for ever 1% decrease in LDL, the risk of CAD goes down by 1%. I have also heard that for e...
  Posted
Hello. I have some concern and I wanted to get your opinion. In the last few days I have been feeling some discomfort in my chest and light headedness, and some nerve twitching in my eye (and some tingling in my hands). This is the h...
  Posted
I’m a 63 y/o male with MVP (minimal regurgitation). In 2001 I underwent ablation to alleviate my PVCs that I have had for 25 years (which had gotten very frequent and were no longer adequately controlled my meds), very successfully. At t...
  Posted
Female, 32,No current regular medication. I hope it is ok to post in this group. There is no longer a posting feature for the Heart Rhythm expert forum. For the last two years (since I briefly tried a tricyclic for neuropathic pain) ...
  Posted
Dear Dr. Kirksey, Where is the right place to measure waist circumference to indicate CVD risk? I know the measurement is supposed to be 31" for a woman. My natural waist (at belly button) is 30", but I read that you're supposed to measu...
  Posted
I am 26 years old and consider myself in good health except for a couple of things. After I left the military I started having intense panic attacks so bad that my heart would race to 180bpm. One time I called some EMT's because I though...
  Posted
I just completed a tread mill stress test and a nuclear stress test. Briefly, the results are: 1) attained 100% target heart rate, no chest pains, no arrhythmia 2) LVEF is 56% 3) Moderate size infereior ischemia 4.) ECG is positive ...
  Posted
Dear Doctor, About 3 weeks ago I went to see my physician about some chest discomfort I'd been having. She listened to my heart and told me that she heard a small murmur, and told me that it could be indicative of a leaking heart valv...
  Posted
Hello, my doctor did not clearly define exactly what normal sinus rhythm with atrial run is and could you please clarify this for me. My heart rate during the atrial run was 180. I was wearing a heart monitor. I am 30, physically acti...
  Posted
Dr., I'm 41 healthy male, who has had 4 episodes in last 6 months. Each time, I've had waves of nausea lasting a few minutes, with what seems like a normal heart rate, where these waves grow in intensity until finally it feels like I...
  Posted
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now