Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

another question...

I posted below about my 17 month old son's crying fits, but half of my post didn't show up. There are a few questions I have about dealing with him when he gets like this. For the past 2 days, he's had more "fits". Yesterday we took a drive to a store about an hour from here. He was fine for the entire drive, but then started getting upset right as we got there. In the store, he started fussing more and more no matter what I did (gave him toys, held him) and he became inconsolable. He screamed and arched and pushed me away, but got worse if I put him down. He shakes, sweats, and his eyes are completely glazed over. Once we got outside, he settled down a bit and fell asleep in the car. He was fine afterwards and very good the rest of the day
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Mandy,

It's entirely possible that your son's distress is in the realm of behavioral problem, though some neurobehavioral condition or neurologically-based problem is possible. The only sensible way to pin down the diagnosis, and obtain some treatment/guidance, is via a pediatric mental health evaluation. Even if the conclusion is that you're dealing with behavioral issues, you can obtain some useful guidance in how to manage this.

Also, your son 'should' be sleeping around 13  hours daily, with about 1 1/2 of these hours devoted to a daytime nap. Is this happening?

Please follow up with a referral to a child mental health professional
Helpful - 0
and he was fine that night. Today he did the same sort of thing, with no obvious trigger. I tried several things to snap him out of it, including taking him to his favorite park, but nothing worked until I put a cartoon on TV. Then he sat and watched like he was in a trance and then fell asleep soon afterwards. Here are my questions: Are these normal tantrums? They seem so severe to me. Is he just very sensitive? The fact that he can't seem to calm himself down worries me. Or is this some sort of behavioral disorder or could it be something physical (food sensitivity)? His dr says he's fine, but hasn't given us much time. WHAT should I do when he gets like this? Should I take him some other doctor and, if so, what kind? Thanks! Mandy

Helpful - 0
Just my guess, but, he sounds like he is getting over-tired or maybe over-stimulated.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments