Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hyper or normal?

My son is 5 years old and in Kindergarten. He should be in K-4 because he turned 5 after Sept. 1 (must be 5 by Sept 1 for public K-5, he turned 5 on Sept 16). Because my son excelled in K4 his teacher recommened private school to "put him ahead". At first, he did well but now has had many behavior problems to a point that other parents tell their children not to play, sit or talk to him. He hits, kicks, cuts his hair, cuts his clothes, put pencils up his nose, throws dirt and/or sand, slapped, showed his penis to the class, asked one girl to show him her breasts, etc. On the good side, he loves his teachers, his older sister (13) and younger sister (2), likes school-his friends-books-learning-asks intelligent questions, outwits his 13 year old sister, has great cognitive-thinking skills, generally happy and lovable (when not doing the above), shows remorse and seems to love both parents equally, likes games, computer (no SEGA here). He goes to bed fine but wants to me to move him into bed with me when I go to bed. He will wake up and cry (says he has bad dreams and gets scared) if I do not move him to my bed. His teacher suggested testing for ADD-Hyperactivity-ADHD. I have him on the waiting list at the University of Georgia (highly recommended as non-biased since they do not benefit in any way by the results-negative or positive). The purpose of this is to get you opinion about this. If you need more information, please post. Thank you. Michelle PS: His teacher said that my son WILL be recommended for the gifted classes once his behavior is under control. She stated that he is at a first grade level. Thanks again.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My son is also having behavariol problems. The only subjects that he is not doing good in are gym and art. The academic courses he is getting A's and B's.
Helpful - 0
On sleeping apart...

Talk to your pediatrician about how to do this gradually.

Like...At first sit in a chair in his room until he falls asleep, gradually sitting right by the door and then outside it but within view, then actually going to your own bed.  If he comes to you at night, firmly but lovingly of course, take him back to his bed and sit with him again, letting him know you are always near.

It will take a few weeks, but your lives will be so much better when his sleep is not interrupted and he has learned to calm himself for bed.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Michelle,

You are doing the right thing by having your son evaluated. He clearly has many strengths, and he also has some problems that are well beyond the normal spectrum.

It would also be wise to help your son learn to sleep in his own bed. By gratifying his wish to join you in bed you are lending indirect support to his fear and may be preventing him from developing an appropriate degree of separation from you. You will not be hurting him if you insist on his sleeping in his own bed - you will be helping him.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments