Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Nothing seems to work!

I have four and half year old twin boys. One of them has been diagnosed with ADHD but is not on any medication. The problem we are having is that at times they are out of control.
They hit, scream, pour water everywhere, dump things all over the floor such as food, drink, shamppoo.
They poop on the floor and then throw in on the celing, they have cut up all of our couches with knives. They have drawn on all of the walls.
If we spank them they laugh and say it didnt hurt. If we use time out they dance around in the corner and then go right back to the previous behavior. If we take away privliges they say they dont care, they didnt want that privlidge anyway. They cuss and yell at us, we have tried soap in the mouth but they say it taste good. We need help!! Please!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am only 16 years old and I believe I can solve your problem.
     #1. Tell your boys that you love them at least 20 times a day.
     #2. Continue spanking them and giving them time out. Even if they say "it doesn't hurt", it does. If they dance around in the corner, let them. If you have to leave them there all day, with the exception of using the bathroom and eating.
     #3. Remember that you are in charge and that you CAN control a four year old.
     #4. Tell them you love them at least 20 times a day.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Stacy,

The degree of dyscontrol displayed by your sons is well beyond the normal spectrum, and should not be regarded as a typical child behavior problem. The situation is compounded by the fact that your sons are twins. In such situations, children can mimic, collude with, and contage each other in a fashion that is not quite the same as it is with siblings who are not twins.

You should seek professional assistance by a pediatric mental health/behavioral health clinician. That person can evaluate your sons' status and your parenting interventions. Part of the assessment can include the variable of ADHD and whether this is contributing to the degree of out-of-control behavior you are describing. The range of behaviors you list are certainly not to be accounted for simply by ADHD, though it could be a contributing variable.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments