Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

4 year-old with ADD???

What other ways can we treat ADD other than meds.  I would like more info on changing his diet. Is there a book?
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have 2 daughters, 7 and 4.  My 4 year old seems to be quite the aggressive one.  She has always been a little ahead of the game (or at least I think so).  She had teeth early, crawled at 6 mos., walked at 9 mos.  She started biting just before she turned 1.  By the time she was 2, she had gotten removed from 2 daycares for biting.  She went into a home daycare setting and seemed to have stopped immediately.  She was there for 1.5 years and within that time she bit maybe 3 times.  The daycare provider has since quit and she is now with a neighbor who has a 2 yr. old son.  They are constantly battling and she has started to bite on and off again.  She communicates fine.  When she is at home she fights with her sister -- pushing, shoving, pinching.  She is definat.  Everything is "NO" and wants to argue on every issue for which she doesn't like my answer. I don't know why she is so aggressive and demanding of attention.  I am careful to make sure they get equal attention.  I want to get her into a regular daycare setting soon and don't know what I would do if she continues to bite.  I cannot quit work to stay home with her and I don't know how to get through to her that what she is doing has to stop and it can hurt people.  I tried talking, timeouts, punishments, biting her back, taking things away, etc.  She is very active and does not like to sit (like she is afraid she will miss something).  She fights with the girls across the street, too.  At home, when her sister is not around, she can be the perfect angel.  What can I do?  I am getting really frustrated.  She has a good heart but seems to have a terrible time sharing and interacting on some occassions.  I need suggestions on how to handle this and stop the biting and aggressiveness.  Thanks.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Pam D,

You are correct. Dr. Elizabeth Vinton and I are on the staff of Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates. HVMA is a muti-site, multi-specialty group practice.

Dr. Kennedy
Helpful - 0
What does ADHD stand for
Helpful - 0
Who are you?
Helpful - 0
That is not enough information I need more.
Helpful - 0
Can you give more information about ADHD please!
Helpful - 0
What does ADHD stand for
Helpful - 0
HVMA stands for Harvard Vanguard Medical Association
PhD is probably the degree of the person giving the advice
and KDK is probably initials or identification of the advising doctor.

ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
ADD is Attention Deficit Disorder

If you do a search of this site, you can get several relevant articles with much information.

Best wishes to you in your search for answers.
Helpful - 0
What does ADHD stand for
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Maria,

ADHD can be treated via behavior modification and environmental modification, as well as by medication. In fact, even when children are medicated as part of the treatment plan, other measures are always called for.

A thorough examination of ADHD and its treatment can be found in Russell Barcklay's Taking Charge of ADHD. It is particularly useful for parents.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments