Aa
A
A
A
Close

Acceptable to scream in child's face??

Dee
Dear Doctor:

I have a 7 yr. old son who has epilepsy and Tourettes.  During a recent hospitalization for video EEG monitoring my son was given a multitude of tests from the neuropsychology department.  This was due in part to my reports of his behavior problems since the onset of these conditions.  I have emphasized the fact that his rages and acts of aggression are clearly exacerbated on any AED he's been on.  The teacher's reports of changes in behavior coincided with the beginning of each new medication he tried and the improvement in behavior coincided with the withdrawal of each one.  I did not share with his teacher the beginning or ending of each one.  Currently he is on Depakote and I received "the call" again where she reported that he appeared to be ADHD and had never seen him like that before.  I then informed her he had started a new medication (had been on it six weeks) and she had said the change came on gradually over a month ago, putting it starting with the new medication.  I am aware that he needs to be on something for his seizures, but these meds affect his behavior so much.  We received the results of his neuropsych testing and his IQ is 114 and he scored a grade level above his current grade (he's in first).  However, the area they are concerned with is short-term memory, which we have said for a year now we have noticed problems with.  An unofficial diagnosis of amnesia was given, but they are confused because he is obviously learning, but in teaching new things to him he could not recall them.  But their answer to control his "bad behavior" when he hits or wants to hurt someone (usually me) is to get in his face and scream as loud as I can that I will not accept hitting and to put him somewhere for timeout, preferably a closet.  They said to do this to get his attention and to let him see that his behavior caused the "ultimate" anger in us.  They also said whether his problems are related or not to the effects of the medication, which seems to make him very irritable and wanting to strike out, that we still treat him the same way, that there is nothing in his brain that makes him hit and therefore he is just being a "bad boy".  

Also, he is very, very hard to wake up in the morning since being on the Depakote and their answer was to pour ice water on his face.  What I would like to know is if these are acceptable practices in your opinion.  I obviously have reservations about screaming in his face and pouring ice water on him, but is this something new in the world of neuropsychology and psychiatry that has been shown to be effective?  I'm trying to get his medication lowered and have not had any luck with the neuro calling me back.  But since I was told by a professional, who is also a professor, to do these things I wonder if I'm over-reacting.  I just have a gut feeling it's not right.  What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Dee
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Dee,
Screaming and Ice watter? How can a child (or even a dog) learn anything if you scream in their face? Ice watter to wake him up?
where did those people learn their jobs? who taught them? drill sargents?
I will go ot on a limb here and say that's not a good plan.
I have trained a cat to fetch, and not one time did I scream at her or throw water at her, because she would have ran away.
I have two kids who were never treated that way, spanked once or twice,(Not for your son I agee, with his condition striking him wuld be wrong) but never screamed at, or soaked. it sounds like He needs lots of love and time, he will be fine.

I'll pray too, Good luck, and take care.        

Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Dee,

There are times, with severely impaired children (i.e., children who display severe types of Pervasive Developmental Disorder), when unusual behavior management or behavior modification techniques might be useful. To be frank, though, I don't immediately perceive such a need with your son. Should intervention be clear, decisive and authoritative? Sure. But need it involve screaming? I doubt it. We can deal with children in a humane, respectful manner and still be forceful and clear.

Relative to the issue of behavior and medication, I believe it is a good idea to respond to the behavior with sound management, even when we think it may be influenced by medication. As long as the behavior is occurring, it needs to be managed. Naturally, if medication is exacerbating the situation, that issue needs to be addressed as well, and it sounds like you are doing precisely that.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments