Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

dexadrine spansule

My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with Add and was prescribed Adderall.  He has always had trouble swallowing anything and makes him gag, usually vomiting.  He tried for a week with no success, but he can chew them up.  Would he get the same effect from this med by chewing other than swallowing? Also, if he went to the spansule can you break it apart and put in food for the same effect as swallowing?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My child has been taking Dexedrine for three years.  When first diagnosed with ADHD seven (7) years ago our physician prescribed Ritalin.  Ritalin has lots of side effects such as ticks and twitching his eyes.
My questions is this, can Dexedrine slow the growing process of a child; for example, stunt their growth or make them lose their appetite.  My child is 13 years old and is the same size as my 9 year old who is of normal size for his age.  Do I have reason to worry.  Should I seek a medical doctor who can test for growth problems?

I'm very concerned........
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Leann,

The best result is clearly going to be achieved via swallowing. The next best alternative is to use the spansule and sprinkle it on something (e.g., applesauce) that can be swallowed without chewing. The worst option, and one that is not even sensible to try, is to chew the pill.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments