Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Apathetic Child

My 9 yr old doesn't seem to care about anything and lies constantly.  He started his lying a year ago and it was only about his school work.  He would say he finished his homework at school and not bring anything home.  His grades then went way down to the point he ended up having to go to summer school.  Through the summer his lying went away.  Now at the end of the 4th grade school year, he started his lying again and has been hiding homework, which he said was completed but wasn't and has been hiding his report card and any other papers regarding his behavior at school.  I have punished him with everything I can imagine.  Spanking, grounding, taking away all privaliges and even the big blow of taking him off his baseball team.  He just doesn't seem to care about his school work or his lying.  I have talked to him till I am blue in the face and he tells me he will quit lying and do his school work, but he reverts back to doing nothing.  He has now started lying about things other than shcool work.  His mother and I have been divorced since he was 2 and she has remarried and divorced twice since then.  I have been re married and now have three addtional children.  I get to have my son two nights a week for three hours and every other weekend.  She seems to care about all this but doesn't spend much time with him, and dumps him off on his grandmother.  His mother tells him to do his homework and never checks to see if he is doing it.  I have talked to her, but she says she is doing all she can, but I don't think she is.   Whenever I ask him what he is feeling or thinking the response is always "I don't know" or "Nothing".  He has never once opened up and told me about any problems he is having or how he feels inside.  I am worried he is so bottled up that now he doesn't know how he feels.  How can I get him to open up and to quit lying
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Step son is apathetic to school was started.
Helpful - 0
mia
I suggest you have your son evaluated by the school to see if he has any learning problems or behavioral problems that interfere with his learning. Make your request in writing. It is common for children his age to be identified with specific learning disabilites. They can be subtle but devastating since left unaddressed they can begin a cycle of failure and associated behavioral problems. If he has a learning problem or behavioral difficulties like inattention that interfere with meeting academic expectations he will benefit from the expertise of special education teachers who can design a program of interventions .Begin collecting work samples and observe him at home making note of his ability to follow multistep directions , stay focused on an academic task ,( when he does homework ) tolerance for frustration ect. Your observations will be helpful.
Good luck and keep on caring.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Darrin,

Your son is falling between the cracks, if you will, with his life divided between his two homes. The situation re: homework could be remedied by a careful collaboration between home and school whereby the teacher literally signs off on your son's homework each night so you are not left holding the bag and having to rely on your son's accounts, which are not reliable right now. Such a plan requires some attentiveness between parents and teacher; this is complicated by your son's family situation.

It might be useful for you and his mother to meet with a counselor to see if you can reach an agreement on how to proceed. The key will be the ability of you and your son's mother to collaborate in this matter. If together you can close the loopholes, you'll solve the problem (at least insofar as school work is concerned). A more general difficulty is the overall family situation and how your son is responding to it. The difficulty with school work is symptomatic of a bigger problem - the counselor can also help you with that.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments