Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

child behaviour

my son will be nine years old in november 2000. He is good in his studies although it is very difficult to get him into that. He doesn't pay attention to his work and try to complete it as early as possible.my problem is that he refuses to do anything by himself. He doesn't eat or dress up or even washes by himself. he wants us to do everything for him. if we force him he starts screaming and crying. he doesn't even want to try. he is giving us real hard time.i am desperately seeking help for him.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am getting very upset with the responses given on this board. I believe the good doctors know nothing about the warning signs of disorders.

please look into learning disability information, specifically developmental dyspraxia. Your son may have a problem with task planning. My son still needs help doing basic self help skills, and will also cry if I insist he can do it. You are not going to help your child by not giving in because of crying.

Try this. Write out the steps your son needs to complete in order to get dressed. For example:
       Getting Dressed

1. Take off clothes.
2. Put on underwear.
3. Put on pants.
4. Put on shirt.
5. Put on shoes.

This is a checklist. He should checkmark as he goes. You can use this for just about any routine.

Feel free to visit my web site. There is a variety of information.
www.geocities.com/denisev2/
Helpful - 0
thank you
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Sadhana Majumdar,

The degree of dependence you describe is certainly unusual for a child who is eight and one-half. At this age, it is to be expected that a significant degree of mastery be occurring; children usually delight in being able to do more and more things.

On a behavior management level, it's important not to be coerced by the crying and fussing - don't give in to it. If you issue an expectation, stick to it. At times, it might mean that your child will have to be in time out until he accomplishes what you are asking him to do. On the positive side, it might help him if you establish an incentive system, whereby he will be rewarded for accomplishing tasks without assistance.

If you don't see any progress, consult with a clinician who can assess the situation and collaborate with you to increase your son's degree of mastery.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments