Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My son never listens!

RC
My 3 year old behaves very well most of the time.  He is sweet, kind, and compassionate.  He knows the rules of the house, but never seems to remember them.  Whenever my husband or myself ask him to do something, he just blatently ignores us.  We never ask him to do something that is beyond his capabilitits, or understanding.  

The problem is, no reasonable disciplinary action seems to work.  I hate spanking him, and it never works anyway.  Time outs have absolutely no effect on him at all.  I try sending him to his room, but he doesn't seem bothered by that either.  

What are we doing wrong?  Why can't we get him to listen and cooperate?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I agree with the suggestion of using "1-2-3 Magic".  I teach in home parenting and this is one of the techniques I use with families.  It is a great tool.  They also have it on video.
Helpful - 0
After reading your comment July 23, 2000, my seven year old son is the same with the dietary changes I would love to do that for my son but I really need some help.  Can someone give me some sample of food that he should be eating.
Helpful - 0
My 6 yr old ADHD did the same things and yelling, spanking, and excessive lecturing does not help.  Try reading "1-2-3 Magic" and giving specific positive praise for good behavior and teaching him why some of his behaviors are not appropriate. Be consistiant with the consequences for incorrect behavior and state the consequences up front.  

You can also try eliminating artificial dyes from his diet, and limiting sugar, corn syrup, sodas, juices, and junk food from his diet.  This can help him to concentrate and retain information.  Also give a very good multivitamin with as close to 100% of the RDAs and no artificial ingredients.  Vitamins and dietary changes really helped my son learn and retain information.  A healthier diet never hurt anyone.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Rc,

I know it seems to you like nothing will work. But my guess is that time out will be useful as one tool of discipline, if you employ it correctly. The problem is most likely the way you are using the technique.

We address this problem quite often, so I won't reiterate the information here. Use the SEARCH function in this Forum, and you'll see many questions and replies about managing behavior, including use of time out.

I support your disinclination to spank your child. It's not the end of the world if parents spank their children in a reasonable way, but it really isn't terribly effective and it can bring on a number of unintended side effects.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments