Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

8 year old temper tantrums

sue
My 8 year-old still has temper tantrums, and they seem to be getting more and more violent as she gets older.    She starts hitting and throwing things, and it doesn't matter the age or size of the person she attacks.  Once, she came at me with a hammer.  She was abused from the age of 3-4 to the extent of having been spit on, having her favorite things hidden from her, being forced to view "waste" in the toilet.  I took her to counseling at that time, but was very disappointed with the quality of treatment at our HMO as I was an employee there.  Last year, I had her in a counseling evaluation program at her school and NEVER received any feedback, input, etc. from the counselor there.  Lastly, I have recently suffered a permanent back injury and can no longer physically restrain her without running the risk of further injury.  (I'm a single parent living on worker's comp.)  I'm certain my daughter needs counseling...can I get some help through the school system?  What about help from the county since we made full police reports at the time of the abuse?  We live in California.  Thank you for your time.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Sue, Sounds like you have your hands full.  I have a daughter the same age as your daughter and I have episodes of her kicking and hitting people, and being very mean.  The only difference is my daughter has never been exposed to the abuse that your daughter has been subject to.  I was diagnosed with RSD (reflex sympthetic dystrophy) also know as CRPS (chronic repetative pain syndrome)when my daugher was about 18 months old.  I know this has been hard on my kids due to my limitations but I still get involved as much as I can in my kids lives.  I volunteered a the school to be the room mom for the holiday parties. This I think made my daugher appreciate me a little more.  I know she loves me and needs to learn to channel her anger somewhere else.  She's been in gymnastics for the past three years and she is great in phys ed.  I know when she doesn't eat or is tired she tends to have the episodes of being angry a lot more than when she is not tired or hungry.  Keep your chin up and don't give up on your child.  No matter what it takes fight to help her.  Where we live I've called the school and they have a social worker or school nurse, (I think most schools have them) and explain your circumstances with them. I'm sure they will be able to get you the help you need for you child.  I wish you well, and I hope you feel better.
Pauline
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Sue,

You're on the right track by wanting to have some professional help for your daughter. Such violent, aggressive, angry behavior is not uncommon in children who have experienced abuse or other forms of inadequate parenting in their early years.

In most states there are provisions for mental health intervention for children whose parents cannot afford to pay fee-for-service costs. Yes, by all means check with your state and county child guidance agencies. Also, as a resource, check with any local child guidance clinic and explain your circumstances. People at the clinic will likely be familiar with the ways you can gain access to help.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments