Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sudden seperation anxiety...

My son has always been very close with me in everything that I do. He is 4 now, with 2 older sisters, 6 & 10. He suprised us all this August when he began staying at the gym day care and in September starting preschool with out blinking an eye. He loved everything about it. About 3 1/2 weeks ago he came down with a pretty bad bug and was feeling less than secure. I understood his not wanting to be far from me, but now that all is well, he panicks at the thought of me leaving. He wants to be able to let me go, he justs 'freaks' when it actually becomes time. I am a stay at home mom & a firm believer of 'when a child is ready', 'natural consequenses' etc. I do not HAVE to leave him so I wonder if forcing him back into independence is the right way for us to go. I can hang out with him until he regains his confidence, and he can stay with me until he realizes again that it is more fun with his friends. I dont want him to question his security & trust with me.I tell when I am leaving & I go. I do leave him with his dad and grandma (yes, he freaks!)but I dont feel as though I am breaking any trust issues. He has 2 years of preschool before Kindergarten & I know that with patience he will come around, but is this best for my son?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I SUGEST STARTING OFF SLOW LEAVING HIM FOR SHORTER PERIODS OF TIME AND THEN SLOWLY START TO EXPAND  THE TIME YOU LEAVE HIM SO HE CAN READJUST TO THE CHANGES AGAIN.I FOUND BUYING MY SON BOOKS ON MOMMY GOING TO WORK GROCERY SHOPPING OVER NIGHT STAYS ETC HELP ALSO MAKING A LITTLE PHOTO BOOK OF YOUR HOME AND THE MEMBERS FOR HIM TO SIT WITH HIS CARETAKERS AND LOOK THROUGH DURING THE DIFFICULT TIMESHELPS ANY OTHER ADVICE YOU NEED PLEASE WRITE ME AT 9599 BRAYTON DRIVE #461 ANCHORAGE ALASKA 99507
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Jennifer,

You have already learned from your son's experiences that he is ready for pre-school. As a result of his illness and his staying at home, he has regressed a bit, but this is normal. It is wise to get him back into the swing of things, and return to school. Rest assured, he did not change from being ready to not being ready, simply as a result of a brief illness. Dr. KDK
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments