Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My 2 yr. old behavior

Hi, We are having a problem with our 2 yr. old son yelling at us at times when we get on to him for things.  I feel in my heart that it's him getting his frustration out.  I know that being 2 they don't know how to deal with frustration but I'm not sure how to go about it.  Do I ignore it or what?  Also, he's started calling us "stupid" when we get on to him, or he doesn't get his way.  He know's this isn't accectable so now he call's us "stinky".  He know's this is not accectable but continues both names at times.  We've tried to ignore him and we've done the "time out" method.  Nothing seems to work.  WHAT DO YOU DO?  We want to thank you in advance for any of your help.

A Family from Florida...
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear TeeTee,

Yes, a two-year-old normally does experience difficulty handling the anger that comes with frustration of wishes. They're still very pleasure-seeking and egocentric at that age.

However, name calling toward parents should be discouraged. Otherwise, this can become second nature. The time out procedure will likely be effective, and my guess is that the problem is not so much with the technique as with the way you are employing it.

If you wish to pursue this, use the SEARCH function in this Forum and you will see many replies about time out. If you follow the prescribed method you will likely achieve good results. And don't forget to focus on the positives as well - i.e., when your son manages frustration without name calling, let him know you are pleased about it.
Helpful - 0
I want to thank you very much for the quick reply.  We really appriciate the help.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments