Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Seperation Anxiety

dar
My daughter is 7 years  old very close to turning 8. She has always been a bit of a worrier, sometimes needing reassurance, but in the past month or so she is showing signs of seperation anxiety when going to school in the morning. It usually manifests itself with belly pain and tears. When we ask her what is making her upset she admits to be frightened that something is going to happen to myself or her Dad when we are at work. There have been no changes in our lives, no recent losses or injuries,and no changes in her school routine. Her teacher says that she is doing well in class and has not noticed any changes in her behavior. I am a nurse and have been working days  since Sept. prior to that I always worked evenings or nights. I am unsure if there is a link between the two. We are desperately looking for some answers or help. Thanks
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I happened unpon this site in sheer frustration. My daughter who oddly enough is also 8 years old has been going through this off and on since kindergarten. She literally gets physically sick every day, but teh teach said that she is fine once she hets into the class. I have had to readjust my schedule at work to take her to school every other the day. That seems to be working.

However this disorder seems to have manifested itself and we are seeing other signs of anxiety with her. We literally cannot get her to a dentist, or should I say we make the trip there and end up leaving shortly after, she usually ends up getting sick at the denist.

She has a clogged duct in her left eye that needs medical treatment but we literally cannot get her to coorperate, again she get's physically sick instantly.

She will not stay with anyone anymore outside of my husband or myself and in the event she is coaxed into it, she worries the entire time and questions when I will be back.    

I feel like my world is crashing down on me, I'm not sure how to handle these situations. She is in the beginning stages of therapy so nothing concrete has been determined.

Until we can come to a resolution does anyone have any suggestions? Is it better to be rigid with her all the time, can I show her any sympathy. My heart is literally broken.

I'm not sure how much more I can take.

Please help if you can.
Helpful - 0
I happened unpon this site in sheer frustration. My daughter who oddly enough is also 8 years old has been going through this off and on since kindergarten. She literally gets physically sick every day, but teh teach said that she is fine once she hets into the class. I have had to readjust my schedule at work to take her to school every other the day. That seems to be working.

However this disorder seems to have manifested itself and we are seeing other signs of anxiety with her. We literally cannot get her to a dentist, or should I say we make the trip there and end up leaving shortly after, she usually ends up getting sick at the denist.

She has a clogged duct in her left eye that needs medical treatment but we literally cannot get her to coorperate, again she get's physically sick instantly.

She will not stay with anyone anymore outside of my husband or myself and in the event she is coaxed into it, she worries the entire time and questions when I will be back.    

I feel like my world is crashing down on me, I'm not sure how to handle these situations. She is in the beginning stages of therapy so nothing concrete has been determined.

Until we can come to a resolution does anyone have any suggestions? Is it better to be rigid with her all the time, can I show her any sympathy. My heart is literally broken.

Please help if you can.
Helpful - 0

Please help if you can.
Helpful - 0
My 7 almost 8 is having the exact same problem.  The school sujusted to have my husband drop her off instead of me to see if it will help. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
This is likely not related to the work schedule, given the timing of the behavior. Sometimes it's not immediately clear what precipitates separation anxiety, but you can rest assured your daughter is uneasy about something. Causes for unsettledness needn't be dramatic - in fact, from an objective point of view the precipitants can be subtle. All I can advise you to do is (a) scrutinize the home and out-of-home (incl. school) environments for changes or developments, and listen carefully to what your daughter is expressing, and (b) be sure to insist on regular school attendance and in no way offer any direct or secondary gain. Be attentive and supportive, but firm and decisive at the same time.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments