A
A
A
Close

SUPER SENSITIVE WITH ANTHING MY DAUGHTER WEARS

I need advice on my 4 year old daugher behavior.  My
daughter thows a temper really bad, if she can't wear a dress
every day, she is super sensitive with everything else she wears
to shoes, under pants, shorts and everything else, I have to cut tags out of everything she wears and her socks have to be inside out so the seam does not bother her, she wants to wear sundresses ALL THE TIME, I tried to talk with her and tried taking on the fixing the promblem for her, but then it starts with another piece of clothing..  I started giving her a hit with the spoon on the bottom after we have made are discision on what she going to wear that day if she has a temper with screaming at me, that seams to work, but I feel so guilty I don't know if it's a control issue or if she really has a promblem?    She is a very bright child and very loving one

Thank you,  

4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
PRW
We had similar problems with my daugther who has SID.  She was very tactically defensive, and would not wear jeans of any other kind of heavy fabric, or, for a long time, long pants of any kind.  She wanted to wear cotton shorts and t-shirts even in winter.  We faced daily battles that would end in screaming fits and would escalate out of control. Here's what we did.

First, in my view, doing time outs makes no sense if the kid is only trying to feel normal by wearing certian clothes.  Imagine how you might feel being asked to wear heavy wool next to the skin.  The first thing is to understand that what you are asking may be very difficult. Ask her about things feel and take her reports seriously -- if you don't you'll drive her and yourself crazy.

We let our daugther wear what she wanted as long her health and safty weren't at stake.  When such issues arose we made deals with her.  She could wear shorts to preschool if she wore snow pants in the car on the way to stay warm. She objected at first, but we held out ground and once she understood that she could take snowpants off at school things were much calmer.  Eventually, we got to the point were we would say "if you wear long pants to school, you can wear what you want at home" and eventually we got compliance on the long pants issue.  Understand, this took a year or more while we were doing OT.

Her OT recommended a course of brushing -- designed to desensitize.  This proved only marginally effective.  Not as effective as her therapy over time.

Making transistions was the hardest part and would often escalate into senseless battles. This will sound nuts, but try giving her some very chewy and/or sout to eat while she is getting dressed. Our favorites were licource bites and chewy sour worms.  The the chewing can help get a kid organized enough to stick with a transistion.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your much needed advice on my daughter..
I got this book on SID "The out of Sync Child" and it was very enlighting to what I have been going though with her, called the
tactile sense, there are so many things: brushing the hair, washing the face, coming to the dinner table is a battle if she sees something she dislikes, very picky.. just doing some of the every day tasks that we have to do is always a confrontation..
That brings me to my question; I have called around trying to collect some information for myself and my husband and I have an appt. with my peds. office but we could'nt get a consult till the end of july, I have the book and it reads well but there so many issues that pertain to her and then again she does not have this promblem at school at all, I asked the teacher if there was ever a time she address any clothes issue with her and she said never, brings me to think why only at home?  
   We try to be as patient as we can , but going back to my first question, if I address ANTHING with her she goes to one thing after another, having very bad screaming fits, that somethings not right, licking her solves the promblem till the next encounter, but her self estem is going under, When we do time outs for this behavior it can go on for hours, I do not have hours, we have to be out the door for school and I have another child thats 14 months old.. I really try to help her but
I just want to throw in that white flag, and I hate feeling this way and july seems so far away. please , any advice would maybe give me the right path to get us where we need to be.. THANK YOU FOR YOUR WEBSITE...
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I wouldn't assume that this is primarily a behavior problem, though it may be. Such tactile defensiveness is often a manifestation of sensory integration problems, and it would be worthwhile to seek an evaluation by an occupational therapist.

Of course, even if your daughter displays sensory integration problems, you still have to manage the behavior and set reasonable limits and adhere to them. You can probably dispense with the spanking and substitute a 'warning', followed by a time out if the behavior persists.
Helpful - 0
My child displayed similiar behaviors and was tested for Sensory Integration Dysfunction by an Occupational Therapist.  He received Occupational Therapy for a few months and it made a significant difference in his ability to handle the feel of clothing, loud noises, etc (Things having to do with the five senses).  He still displays these behaviors but they have been significantly reduced.  There are a few excellent books on the subject that really describe Sensory Integration in more detail.
I hope this will help you.
Hang it there.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments