Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

angry child

My 5 year old son, seems to be displaying a lot of anger towards his schoolfriends in the playground.  Firstly, he is very large for his age, and when he pushes or hits, he does it very hard.  Academically, he is brilliant, quite advanced.   The problem occurs when he is out in the playground, he tries to boss other children around, and when he doesn't get his own way, he hits and kicks them.  When the teacher tries to pull him away, he is uncontrollable, and kicks out at his teacher, who otherwise he has a lot of respect for.   On the other side of the coin, he is a very loving and caring child, and rushes to help if someone has fallen over and hurt themselves.  The school are having difficulty in handling him, he's only been at school for 8 weeks so far, and they are already talking about me picking him up, so he can spend his lunchbreaks at home.   This problem is an ongoing one, he had problems at nursery too.  If another child had a toy he had previously been playing with, he would get into a blind panic, shouting THAT'S MINE, THAT'S MINE and he would storm over and snatch it from the child.  Many of the children in his school are scared of him.  It was said once that he is emotionally immature.  I don't know what to think.  I'm at the end of my tether.  Do you have any suggestions?   Will he grow out of it?  He'll be five next month.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, please help was started.
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much for your comments.  I'll now look into getting that book!  Thanks for replying so quickly!
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It is likely that your son is displaying an impulse control problem, and that the sensible approach is a systematic plan for behavior management. A sound approach to such behavior is detailed in the book SOS:Help for Parents, by Lynn Clark. Implementing such an approach will manage the immediate situation and help your son to acquire improved control of his anger.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments