Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

nightmares

Hi there,

My 13 yr old son just began to experience "nightmares" of death and dying.  He wasn't sleeping very well at all.  I only found out about it after he woke me up at 11:30pm at night very scared and disturbed.  What i could get from him was sparing in details except for the fact that he asked me about reincarnation and what happens after we die.  He could see himself die and wanted to know if he could be reincarnated.  He said he could see himself just "lying " there and that was the end of his explanation.  His father ( not in the home) came over the next day and talked to him and he didn't have these nightterror for 2 wks or so, this past week, he say's they're bothering him again.  I believe he may have some form of anxiety as he has had tics in the past and currently blinks his eyes alot.  He also is a nocturnal enuretic.  During the 1st episode of night terrors, he didn't have an accident for those 2 wks.  He resumed after the talk from his father.  Should I be overly concerned.. he doesn't like to talk about it and i don't want to make a big deal..possibly make it something this isn't.

any suggestions?  

most gratefully...
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have a 10 year old son who had/is going through the same thing. I don't know when it really started but I did notice a change in his behavior towards the end of last school year. His grades dropped a little but he seemed to do well through the summer. Shortly after school started again he started comming to me crying and telling me he could not sleep because he kept seeing himself dead. Not dying or killing himself just dead and he says he could not move although he believes he was awake. He asked questions about what happens when you die and I tried to help him by giving him breating and relaxation exercises to help him sleep. He went down hill pretty quick and he could not get to sleep and he was becomming very lathargic,cried very easily and his appitite was almost nill. I knew these to be signs of depression and started him on St. John's Wart (checked with his ped first) and started him in therapy. The sessions were not all together productive and to be honest we never did get to the bottom of what was going on with him. The St. Johns Wart helped the most I think. Well here we are several months out of therapy and off St. Johns Wart and he is haveing difficulty again. I am concerned at very least. He cannot make decisions easily, he is becomming argumentative with his sister again and has been awakened by nightmares on several occasions recently. I am sure starting him back on the St. Johns Wart will help again but It does not get to the root of the issue.
Any suggestions from anyone - Any Help - Any Comments -
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There is likely no reason to be overly concerned. However, it might be helpful to ask your son if he would like to speak with a therapist, in the event that the episodes were promoted by stress or in the event that the episodes themselves have resulted in some stress or confusion that could be addressed via some brief contact with a therapist.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments