Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Is my child gifted or just difficult

My son is 6 years old and is in First grade.  He turned 6 on 9/28/01.  He is having a lot of trouble in first grade.  His teacher says he just doesn't listen and pay attention or follow directions.  He just wants to do everything himself.  The work he does do he does great.  However, sometimes he goes through it so quickly he will make stupid mistakes.  His teacher and I are both stumped.  His report card was incredible and his teacher said that he would be doing even better if he just payed attention.  She feels he is really above his classmates.  He tells me that he hates school.  The day is too long and is extremely boring.  He says that the work is too easy.  Lately every morning is a fight to get him to go to school.  I actually have to have someone hold him while I take off just to get him to go to school.  He is a very loving and caring child.  He is very sensative and loves to play.  He will focus intensly on things of his own interests, so much you can't distract him.  He sings and has been in a junior chorus for two years.  He plays soccer and baseball.  He has played one season of each.  He did gymnastics for two years and karate for a short time.  He loves to be active.  Everything his hands on with him.  He talks all the time and always wants more information.  IF we don't give it to him he comes up with his own.  He could walk at 9 months and new his abc's by 12 months in english and in french by the time he was 15 months.  He could count to ten in english and spanish by the time he was 13 months.  He loves to read.  Please give me any advice you can.  Thanks.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am quite gifted.My iq is 200 yet I have been diagnosed with everything.I wonder why these doctors cannot agree.I'm 17.Could it be that I am gifted?Please email someone please!with help.I will inform you of my situation.
Helpful - 0
I am quite gifted.My iq is 200 yet I have been diagnosed with everything.I wonder why these doctors cannot agree.I'm 17.Could it be that I am gifted?Please email someone please!with help.I will inform you of my situation.
Helpful - 0
Hi, sounds like your child is smart. But be careful, when I was told by the school that my 7 yr. old had an "attention" problem, I had no trouble finding all the things that were "great" about him. Only until someone from the outside tuned me into what I was doing, did I realize that I was trying to "reassure" myself that there wasnt a problem. Now Im on track....I know my boy is smart, but he may need help, and Im doing the steps necessary to help him. Good luck :)
Helpful - 0
Check into giftedness, too.  Children can be gifted in several different ways, and public school teachers aren't trained to detect it or prepared to nurture it at such a young age and with such a large group of kids.  So many gifted kids are misdiagnosed and given prescription medication to "fix" their "problem".
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your son's negative attitude toward school is probably not a product ofbeing gifted. He clearly has some considerable strengths, as demonstrated by his capabilities at such a young age, and he may turn out to be gifted academically. It's too early to know. But children can be gifted, bright, or whatever and still be fond of school. If, indeed, the curriculum is not challenging, and if it is true that he has too much time on his hands, try to plan accordingly with his teacher (e.g., by having aditional work available to him). In other words, have a systematic plan for what he will do when he has completed his assignments. Your description indicates that he might be a bright child who also displays attentional problems, perhaps even Attention Defcit Hyperactivity Disorder. Sometimes we tend to think of this condition as associated only with children who are struggling. But it occurs with bright, capable children also. It might be worth considering.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments