Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

what is the next step

i have a nine year old boy who is having some trouble at school it is not all the time but seems to happen at least once or twice a month .he doesnt act out at home only at school and he is simply not obeying his teacher or pushing the limits espically when there is a substitute at school.he recently had a sub. and there was a disagreement between him and his sub and he told her i dont freakin have to do what you say.i know he has had alot of changes to cope with from me being a single mom for 5 years to meeting my husband then we had another child and moving away from an enviorment that he was familiar with and switching schools.i had him in couslening last year and that didnt seem to help he is doing much better.but i have tried all the different punishments from postive reninforcement to taking things away that mean alot to him but ex...nintendo,playing outside and his radio. but he doesnt seem to care.i know he doesnt get the same amount of attantion he use to and he is not a close distance wise to my family and doesnt get to see them like he wants ..im at my wits end on what to do with him the school hasnt made a big deal out of this but he doesnt act like this at home why at school,and what is the next step in working with him is it something im doing or what ..im at a loss i just dont know what to do ..he seems to cry easily and pouts alot when he doesnt get his way i know boys will be boys but where do you draw the line and say enough is enough. and what can i do to help him ...
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Given the changes that have occurred, his behavior might be an attempt to ingratiate himself with peers at school. It is a good sign that his problematic behavior does not occur across the board or on a consistent basis. This would indicate he probably does not display a serious mental or emotional disorder. However, talk things over with school personnel and see if they think he could benefit from an evaluation by a pediatric mental health professional. The challenge is to distinguish between some fairly benign, normal-spectrum misbehavior (which, of course needs to be managed by some sensible limit-setting and appropriate consequences) and something of a more serious sort.
Helpful - 0
maybe he is trying to look cool for friends or trying to make friends. and i would like to thank you for the comment you put at the question "masturbation" i could not believe that kid! well good luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments