Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My 8 year old has uncontrollable crying

My 8 year old has uncontrollable crying fits.  She begins crying and almost losing her breath.  I have to calm her down before she can even talk.  Then, when I get her calm, it is something like she just doesn't feel good... it does not make sense.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
ld3
A related discussion, 8 year old child crying all the time was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, My 8 year old with CP was started.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If this behavior occurs only at home, and not in the out-of-home settings (such as neighborhood, school, activities with peers), it is reasonable to assume it doesn't represent an organized emotional or mental health condition. Rather, it can be a function of fundamental temperament and parent/child interaction. If it is in that domain, it's best ignored. That is, do not fuss over her or attempt to intervene when she is crying. Just go about your business, and only interact with her when the crying is over.
Helpful - 0
The last one was right after I had gone outside to talk to her dad on my cell phone.  He had been gone out of town for the week and her aunt told her to wait for me inside...
The one before that was when we were on our way out of town and she fell asleep.  When she woke up I had her a pbj sandwich ready and she began the same thing.  (She has always loved pbj).
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
When these crying episodes occur, are they a reaction to some precipitant that you can observe? What sorts of things occur just prior to the crying?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments