Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

3 y/o girl's roughness with 2 1/2 mo. old baby brother

My just 3 y/o daughter is very rough with her new infant brother (2 1/2 mo.) She hugs, kisses and squeezes him very hard, she taps his body hard, squeezes his arms and hands.  Most attempts at play with him are rough. At times, this appears very intentional (attention-getting, jealousy).  Usually, though, it seems to be out of her attempt to love and cuddle with him.  She says, "He's so cute!" and then squeezes him excessively.  My husband and I are continually instructing her and roleplaying how to GENTLY play with him.  We try to involve her in his life in different ways as "Mommy's helper". We praise her soft, gentle behavior and discipline her immediately when it is obvious she is being aggressive with him. We've been using the Command 1-2-3 method with an adult-size chair "time out"(with timer)for three minutes (is that an appropriate timeframe?)when she doesn't obey. The behaviors do not seem to be decreasing and I find myself telling her to not touch or get near the baby at all, which saddens both me and her.  What are we missing?  How can we diminish these behaviors?  She is an emotional, dramatic child, prone to yelling and crying tantrums when not getting her way, occasionally slapping my husband or me when not getting her way.  These behaviors immediately land her in the three minute timeout chair.  On a side note, how do you reinforce disciplining these types of behavior when out in public and your timeout chair and timer are at home?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
YYou're doing fine; keep on with your efforts. You may have to enforce petty much a no touching approach most of the time, unless you're right with her and you are holding the baby. She's just not old enough to have either much judgment or much impulse control. In prublic, keep using the tactics, and simply employ whatever spaces are available - e.g., park bench, seat in the mall, car, etc. Try not to let the setting dictate your approach.
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry I can't help you with your main point, but what my husband and I do with our child (actually my stepdaughter, though I don't think of her that way) when we are in public is remove her from the situation as a time out.

For example, she has a habit of acting up in restaurants...we haven't quite figured out why, but "time out" takes place in the car with either myself or her father.  This has seemed to diminish her outbursts, because at 5, she's starting to learn what embarrassment is and that it occurs when she's removed from somewhere public for behaving badly.  

We did try the time out for a while when we got home, but that didn't seem to work since she couldn't even really remember what she'd done wrong when we got home.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments