Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sensory Integration Disorder and OT

My 4 year old son was recently diagnosed with SID.  He has been going to OT now for almost 2 months.  Every time we leave OT he gets out of control. He's aggresive and often hits and pinches his sister, rams his head into walls and other things around him.  Ive brought this up with his therapist and she keeps him doing the same thing over and over or just simply acts like its normal. I cant handle him during these outbursts, not only that but who wants to sit with a child for sometimes 2 hours and hold them because something that is supposed to help them calm down and concentrate makes them worse than before we went in. My question is, is this normal for children to be agressive and  violent after occupational therapy?

Thanks
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No, it isn't the norm, and it's likely not due to anything specific about the OT. In other words, the OT activity is probably useful to him, but he may be finding it hard to disengage from it. Talk with the therapist about ideas for a more relaxed separation.
Helpful - 0
My answer is something is not right!  I work with alot of kids who receive SI from an OT and this behavior may happen initially but it starts to fade the more you go to therapy.  Does your son act this way during tx?  If so, the tx they are doing may not be effective.  It is concerning that the therapists is not helping you address this issue.  Has the OT given you things to do at home?  Maybe you can ask her to try another type of calming tx.  Go online and look up SI, review the info and at least you will have some idea of trhe different types of tx.  Do you think anything else may be going on with him? If all else fails, go to another OT- one who specializes in SI tx.  Most children I have seen really do benefit from SI tx but the therapists needs to know how to evaluate the child and provide the most beneficial tx.  Your child will make more progress if you are a part of the tx process and everyone works on these objectives.  Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
Well...this is the second therapist we have gone to. The first wasnt trained in SI (and we had no problems).  This one he's having problems with.  She has given us very few home treatments. She sat me in front of a video and I got some ideas from that. Ive asked her over and over to do the brushing technique with me, as i dont want to do it wrong. She continually tells me that she's forgotten to order the brushes. Although I expected a peak, I sought help for my son to calm down, not become aggressive and so over stimulated no one can control him.  Thats not fair to him (nor the parent who has to spend 1 1/2 hours with him trying to get him to calm down).
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry you are having such problems.  Talk to other parents and ask who they use and inquire about their techniques.  Are your therapists from the school district, hospital or a private bysiness?  Without working on techniques at home,you are placing the carrot in front on the cart and waking around alot.  Go speak with the ot's superviser re your concerns.  Maybe she has another ot to swith you to.  If there is no way to solve the issue, you have the right to go to another provider.  Do you have therapists who provide services in the natural environment?  This may help out.  Don't give up....hope is on the way!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments