Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

kindergarten behavior change

My 5 1/2 year old son has always been very well behaved at school.  He is in a class that went 1/2 days for the first half of the year and this week has switched to full days.  He says he loves school, he is very smart and his teacher is wonderful.  On Wednesday he had a fit at the end of the day when his teacher told him to put on his mittens.  He told her he was going to pour 2 gals of paint on her and break into school and kill her and hurt her.  While she was telling me this at the end of the day he ran into her pushing her.  We went home and talked about the rules of wearing your mittens home and that's her job.  We also talked about yelling at a teacher and what you can and cannot do when you are mad.  He wrote an apology letter to her, we took away a toy to give to charity and talked about having a better day the next day.  Thursday, he had a good day until the last hour when he blew up again.  This time he was working with a partner and when the boy was writing the wrong word my son screamed at him and then hit him in the back while holding a pencil.  The child screamed and cried and the teacher said it didn't bother my son at all.  He was VERY sorry when he had to go talk to the principal and when he was in trouble.  I'm sick over this.  We don't hit anyone in our house, he doesn't watch violent TV (only playhouse disney & pbs kids - he is even scared of most kids movies Toy Story, Lion King etc.)  He doens't play with older children where he might learn behavior like this.  I know he is immature for his age.  What can I do?  Do you think we need counseling?  Help!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have a 5 year old that has threatened to kill me or says he hates everybody and only does this when he is angry.  I don't believe your child is physcotic but I agree and am on this site trying to find the answers myself for what to do with my 5 year old boy who just today got suspended from the school bus for two days for aggressive behavior and not cooperating with the bus driver-jumping over the seats wrestling with other little boys on the bus.  I am lost as well-I tried to post a question but this site is not accepting any new questions at this time.  I will definitely check back and if anybody has suggestions they are gladly welcomed.  We have tried everything-taking away cartoons, video games, dirt bikes, no special treats after dinner and yes, spanking-corner time and it doesn't seem to be getting thru to him.  But I sympathize with you and know where you are coming from-hang in there you are not alone by any stretch.  And definitely get a second or third opinion if someone suggest medicating-we had tried that when he was 2 almost three and no changes and I didn't get a second opinion like I should have.
Helpful - 0
I think you need to just keep your comments to yourself.  I've read comments from you in the past and you are always VERY negative and insensitive.  The people who are posting questions here don't need to hear your advice!!!
Helpful - 0
your son sounds if he borderline psychotic.  I can't imagine a 6 year old telling his teacher he is going to kill her.  YOU need to seek professional help for him before it is too late.  Don't take his threats lightly.   If he said, "I hate you!" is not bad but your son is over the edge!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Borderline psychotic?? That sounds a little dramatic to me.  Clearly this child is demonstrating unacceptable behavior but it is hardly psychotic.  Kids these age don't always have the best impulse control and anger management.  When he told his teacher he was going to kill her, he was probably just repeating something he heard on TV, from another child, or somewhere else, without realizing the seriousness of it, or even what it meant.  He may need counseling or may not, but that's no reason to alarm this poor mother who seems to be addressing the problem well.
Helpful - 0
A 15 month old boy drowned tonight because he crawled through a pet door. He was visiting his grandparents here in Coral Springs Florida. Most parents who have pools are aware of the hazard of swinging pet doors. Unfortunately, they may not be aware of the potential danger when visiting someone else's home.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It's very possible that the whole-day experience is too much right now for your son (and this is true for many children). They tend to get very depleted and when this occurs they lose their resilience and are fragile with limited impulse control. It's not accidental that both episodes occurred at the end of the day. Now, he'll likely adjust, but going to a full day is a very big adjustment.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments