Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My 3 year old destroys the house and night and beats up kids at daycare

My three year old boy has started getting up in the middle of the night and destroying the house.  He gets into candy and makes a mess with it, he's gotten his chewable vitamins open and eaten them up, he's eaten a whole box of fruit roll ups, he tries to use scissors to open sodas from the refrigerator, he found some matches (my fault for them being accessible) and tore all the matches out of the matchbook.  After this the next day at daycare he was hitting multiple kids, got put out of one room and into another and did the same thing and then had to sit w/ the teacher for the rest of the day.  When I found the mess, I woke him up and brought him in the kitchen and explained to him the err of his ways.  When we got home after the daycare incident I spanked him and put TV off limits, he had to eat supper and go to bed for the rest of the night.  All this happened yesterday, I told daycare to call me at work if he was bad and I haven't heard anything yet.  Thoughts?  What to do?  Did I do the right thing?  Is this normal?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Well, there's no doubt that the behavior cannot by any stretch be considered normal. Now, the issue focuses on whether this was an anomaly, or whether it is one episode among many. Sometimes anomalous behaviors occur and it is difficult, if not impossible, to discern why the incident occurred. Did all this literally occur in the span of a single day? Were these behaviors well outside the norm for him? Or were they escalations of a pattern you had been witnessing on a lesser scale?
Helpful - 0
Well Monday night was the incident where he got up and messed up the house, and it was Tuesday at daycare that he was hitting the kids.  He had been getting up in the middle of the night previously, but the one time he actually did anything, he just got the milk out of the refrigerator and some boxes of jello and mixed them in a whole bunch of bowls and put them in the refrigerator and then ran in the room and told me "mommy i did it I did it."  There was one day last week where his teacher told me that he was squeezing kids fingers at daycare and then laughing and he would say, "you can't come to my house" and then he would laugh.  But most days she says that he was an angel.  Here is some other information that may help:  I am a single mom and his dad picks him up every other weekend.  Also, I am in law school so the majority of the time I am in front of the computer or my head is in a book and he is watching TV.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You'll have to decide about your priorities, but your last comment is worrisome. You don't want to reach a point when you look back and wish you had spent more time engaged with your son. You likely can arrange things so that when he's awake you are available to him. Three-year-olds need their parents, particularly when there aren't siblings. Hopefully at school they employ time out when your son acts in an aggressive fashion. And when you need to discipline him at home, time out is really the best intervention throughout childhood. Spanking tends not to be very effective in the long run, and with kids who are angry it tends to exacerbate the problem. Your son's behavior during the night sounds like typical three-year-old behavior - while the cat's away..., so to speak. The problem is that he's waking up at night and moving around. Be sure to keep him on a strict schedule of bedtime and waking up time, and if he still naps during the day it may be time to stop that. Children vary a lot in this regard. But, generally speaking, at his age he should be sleeping straight through for approx. 11 hours each night. Consider using a bedroom monitor to alert you to his getting up, and be sure to let him know that such behavior is not allowed. He's to remain in his bed. It's OK if he comes to you for reassurance, but be sure to bring him back to his bed.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your response.  I really appreciate it.
Helpful - 0
Yes at daycare he gets time outs for his behavior.  I guess my major question is should I be worried?  Or should I just post back and ask more questions if his behavior continues?
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Perhaps the watchword now is to be vigilant, though not particularly worried. Definitely get back to us if your son doesn't revert to his usual more stable form.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments