Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

almost 4 year old refusing to go potty

my youngest son will be 4 in august and is extremely stong-willed.  i have offered every possible reward but have to wrestle for him to even sit on the potty.  he will hold it until i am not around him and then urinate in his underwear.  he is very intelligent so there is no concern that he doesn't understand.  he will watch his daddy and brother but refuses to participate.  i have tried letting him run naked - pee on a cheerio - i will buy you a car (just kidding) but nothing works.  he most recently struggled against sitting on the potty then held his penis crying "i don't want to go pee in the potty".
any ideas???????
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i would try the others user about the Toilate, if that dont work, tell him to wear a pull-up, if He wont participate in the activity, why waste time on laundry?  if he refuses it, just put a diaper on him, Tape it if he takes it off...it sounds like you tryed, tell him to come to you when hes ready to participate.
Helpful - 0
Do you mean a 'potty', or the toilet?   My son totally refused the potty and insisted on using the toilet - and refused to sit at all.  If it's a potty that you're trying to train him on, perhaps get him a stool and allow him to try standing like a 'big boy, just like his dad and older brothers' for the toilet.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
In general it sounds like you're being patient, which is the right thing to do. I'd usually suggest simply continuing what you're doing. But, I have the sense, even from your brief description, that he's harboring some particular fear/worry that is worth investigating. Ask him: "The other day, I noticed you were holding onto your penis and not wanting to use the potty. Is something the matter? What do you suppose would happen?" See what he thinks.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments