Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Daughter's Behavior

CAM
My daughter will be 5 this Oct.  She started a K-4 program in a private school last year when she was just turning 4. I chose a private school due to smaller classroom sizes.  We knew she would have to repeat the K-4 program this year due to her age.Here is where the problem is - she doesn't like her teacher & the teacher doesn't seem to like her because she is not an "easy" child.  I know my daughter senses this & in class is disruptive, stubborn, & very defiant when told to do something she doesn't want to do. When she gets in trouble at school she must also do 10 min. of "time out" (adult chair)at home & loses tv time for the evening.  I want her to understand that her bad behavior at school is not acceptable to mommy either.  I just went through an hour of "I'll be good, mommy.  Can I watch tv?  I won't do it again." before she cried herself to sleep.  She doesn't want to go to school & states she "hates Mrs. XXX (her teacher).  I am very concerned about her level of frustration & she can't seem to tell me "why" she feels this way.  I have had many conversations with her teacher & the school about her behavior (even had her tested last year for learning problems - everyone involved just thought she was immature).  She just spent the summer at this very same school's summer camp & did wonderfully.  She had different teachers for the summer & all complimented her on how much she had matured & what a big helper she was.  The school is small so everyone knows my daughter & we had this same problem last year.  The teachers this summer were amazed at how very different her behavior this summer was. They even told her K-4 teacher how well she did over the summer. This also leads me to believe that the current behavior is a reflection of her relationship with her K-4 teacher.  My daughter, the teacher, and I can't go on like this all year.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  My 10 year old daughter who also attends this school was helping out in the K-4 class but now is not allowed because my 4 year old clings to her while she is there & then cries when she leaves to the point that it is difficult for them to get her back under control.  My daughter is going to have teachers (and others) in life that she may not get along with but she needs to learn that she can't run away from those situations either.  She tells me all the time she wants to go to a different school or the same school but wants to go to kindergarten.  Sorry for the length, but I am just feeling really awful for my daughter and don't know what to do to help her.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Reading a comment posted on 09/03/03 by cam I can really relate to what she is saying in a sense. I have a very mature 4 year old who is literally giving me the blues, it is affecting to the point where i am willing to take her out school and just pay for this 5000.00 education loan i have taken out. Some days she is so cooperative and some days she just refuses to listen or do any thing asked. it's gotten to the point that i hate to pick her up from school because i just don't want to face the teacher and hear all about her mishaps during the day.I love my daughter but can i do to show she can trust me and want to help her get through this. And also i have a 8 year old son who has ADHD, but this is the punch line he is the perfect child, what gives?
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It's best to adhere to the plan for contact unless you have reason to be worried about it. Maybe you do need to be more firm on the home front in re: to your own limit setting. Do you think so? You might take a look at Lynn Clark's book titled SOS: Help for Parents.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It may well be that your daughter doesn't enjoy an optimal relationship with her teacher, and such a context can certainly have an impact on behavior. However, when the child's baseline is one of sound behavior, a less-than-ideal relationship with a teacher will not result in 'bad' behavior. So, in short, it's likely that your daughter displays a behavior problem which might be exacerbated by the nature of the relationship with the teacher but is not caused by the relationship. It also goes without saying that, as your daughter's behavior improves, the teacher will have a more favorable regard for her.

The key for now will be to design a systematic approach to managing the behavior. Your interventions thus far are certainly sensible, but need to be 'beefed up' a bit. Here's what I would advise. Each day have her bring an index card to schhol, ruled into several blocks of time (e.g., start of school - recess, after recess - lunch, after lunch - dismissal). For each period when she is cooperating with classroom rules she receives a sticker on the card. When she arrives home, she receives a treat (e.g., some M&M's, gummy bears) for each sticker, and she receives a 5-minute time out for each segment when she does not receive her sticker). At school, the teacher should place her in time out for 5-10 minutes whenever she is not adhering to classroom rules.

If there is a school social worker or guidance counselor at the school, try to enlist the help of that person. It will be very important for you to maintain a positive relationship with the teacher, and it does sound like you are trying to support the teacher even in the face of your differences of opinion with her. You are taking the 'high road' and that is a good thing and will benefit your daughter.
Helpful - 0
CAM
Thank you very much for your input.  I will impliment your suggestion of using index cards immediately as well as checking out the book you suggested.  I will have to say that my daughter has been known to push my limitations to the point that I eventually give in to her wishes just so there is some peace.  Her daddy won't give in and she knows it.  When he says "No"  there is no point in pushing the issue because it will get her nowhere.  Yes, this is my fault and I know that I have some responsibility for her current behavior.  With that said, I do want to make changes for all of our well being because she can't go on like this.  She can be such a wonderful pleasure to be around and I would like to see that side of her more often.  Thank you once again.
Helpful - 0
CAM
Sorry one additional thought. She(and her 10 year old sister) go to their father's house every other weekend.  My little one has recently not been wanting to go and cries that she wants to stay with me. In my efforts to find out if something is going on that I need to be aware of, I've asked her "why" she doesn't want to go to daddy's and she just says "because I love you and want to stay with you."  Her daddy adores her, BUT she is made to "walk the chalk" there.  Daddy lets her get by with a whole lot less than mommy.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments