Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Is this normal?

My daughter just turned 7 this month.  I would like to know if this type of behavior is normal for a 7 year old or should I be very worried.  My daughter does not care AT ALL about people she does not know.  She worries and cares about her family and friends, but if you are a stranger to her, she could care less if something bad happened to you.

Perfect example:  The recent accident with the NY Island Ferry.  She heard what happened on the news and asked me about it.  I told her that there was an accident and that a lot of people were hurt and killed.  Her reply was:  "So, we don't know any of them."  

Last year she made a comment about wishing that everyone was dead except for the people she knows.

I don't understand where this comes from.  Neither my husband nor I feel that way and we thought we were bringing our daughter up to be a caring person.  I have tried to talk to her about why she feels this way and about why we need to be caring about others, but I cannot seem to get through to her.  

She is otherwise a good child.  Not distructive or hyper.  She can be very shy.  But she can be very difficult to reason with.

Is this normal behavior?  How is the best way to handle it?  Any advice would be appreciated!!!!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
At this young age, since she treats people well, I wouldn't be too concerned about this. As you already are, continue to try to model an altruistic, "Golden Rule" approach to life. The capacity to be empathic occurs gradually over time, and judging by your daughter's reaction to those she knows, she does possess the capacity to be empathic and altruistic. Be careful not to go overboard, though. Simply respond to events and circumstances as they occur. In addition, while reading to/with her, depending on the situations that arise in books, ask her questions about how others might be feeling, what she might do in particular situations, etc. This type of vicarious learning can be quite helpful to a young child.
Helpful - 0
Thank you!  I was very worried and I'm glad to hear that this falls in the "normal range".
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments