Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

discipline with triplets, one more difficult than the others

I have almost 8 year old fraternal triplet girls, a two year old daughter, and a 10 week old son. The triplets ("the girls" as we call them)are in different 2nd grade classes.

My husband and I are being driven to mental exhaustion by the triplets. They are extremely loud, run around the house, and do a lot of wrestle play. They also have to have everything repeated and reinforced too many times. When wrestle play begins, I warn them that if someone comes to me crying about getting hurt, I will send all parties to their rooms. Lately, the two year old is also getting in on the act. It is like having a girls slumber party 24/7! We also have to repeatedly lead them back to their room at bedtime. It takes an hour to get them in bed. They always get out with some excuse.

We use a reward system where they earn "points" on a card for household chores. When they card is filled up, they get $5. However, this is a reward system for work around the house, not behavior. One of them complies a majority of the time and is not really an issue. Another one will work for treat rewards fairly well, though I don't like giving food rewards. There are really two that are much more difficult than the other one.

One has been increasingly difficult to manage at home. Reward and consequence systems have little affect on her. There is no reward that we have come up with that she cares enough about to work for. We have discussed this with her, she comes up with a suggestion, but immmediately does not do what she's supposed to to. For instance, we were working on her going to bed on time. She said she wanted to work for a Hershey's candy bar. She looses it the first night, which obviously doesn't help for the other nights. We have tried all kinds of things, but she will say she doesn't care. She also doesn't work for the money I mentioned above. I have stopped buying toys for them (except birthday/Christmas), they have to use their money.

This child is a perfectionist. She has struggled in reading, but she is very bright. Huge vocabulary. Good math sense. But she gives up as soon as she has any struggle. She also has to do things in order. In her homework she won't skip and come back. In a "find a picture" puzzle, she has to find the pictures in the order they are listed. She takes forever to get ready to go to school. Lately she has been talking back to me and mimicking me. She will get one warning and go to her room. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I police the door because she plays games about getting out. We were seeing a counselor, but her suggestions were ones I had already tried.

These have been ongoing problems prior to the youngest 2 being born.

Lately, the physical situation has been getting out of hand. The one mentioned above has physically threatened with objects held over her head, and one time had scissors in her hand!

The girls do get one-on-one time with us on a weekly schedule, but it works out to only 1 night every 3 weeks.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I wish I could convey to you some advice that would quickly solve the problem. But that's not going to happen. You do have your hands full - that is not meant as a facile response to you. I know it's difficult, but there really is no alternative to managing the behavior. For example, in your initial posting you indicated that you permitted the children to wrestle, and then you expected them to do this in a controlled, reasonable manner. You probably know that is a formula for failure. It's important for you to be clear about what's permitted, and not to put the kids (via what you permit) in a situation that's bound to fail. It may require many episodes of time out for inappropriate actions, and on the other hand regular rewards for adhering to your guidelines, but it's the 'over and over again' approach that will make a difference. As you know as a teacher, there's no short-cut to effective management of behavior. When the children are demonstrating that they cannot be together in a safe and cooperative way, it is best to separate them. As a straightforward example of what I mean by reward, let's say that you and your husband set the rule that, in order to view television each day, the children have to refrain from any physical aggression. This would give you daily (vs intermittent) opportunities to reinforce the behavior you seek.
Helpful - 0
I am disappointed with the advice given to me on this question. It seems that there have been so many helpful responses on this forum, but I was referred to a book. You said I had my hands full--when do I have time to read a book? I also work full time as a teacher. I do know some about reinforcement and consequences...but what works at school does not work at home.

I have sought advice in many places with my problems raising triplets: this forum, other forums, a school counselor, and a family counselor. I think many people do not really understand what life is like with triplets, and don't know quite what to say to me. It is like having a 24/7 slumber party!

Two of my triplets are really getting nasty when they get into a fight. These are the two that play together most frequently. When they fight, they have started scratching, pulling hair, hitting, kicking, and stomping on each other. One of them also always seems to be in trouble for getting into others' stuff (mine included) and being disrespectful. While I'm busy trying to diffuse a situation with one, something new is going on with one of the others, or with my 2 year old. I can't be everywhere at once.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
One thing that will help you a little is to outlaw wrestling entirely. You are asking for trouble by allowing this to continue and expecting the children to keep it under control. You may as well cut your losses, so to speak, and forbid it outright.

You have your hands full, no doubt. Children of this age require a judicious blend of limit setting/disciplie, on the one hand, and rewards on the other hand. The rewards should be fairly immediate, rather than cumulative. Realtive to limit setting and discipline, let me refer you to Lynn Clark's book titled SOS: Help for Parents. It is straightforward, practical and based primarily on common sense. You will find that, if you apply its technique to all your children you will restore sanity to your household and be able to enjoy them more.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments