Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

behavior

I cant understand my 3 yr old daughters behavior. She defies me about almost everything. Some days she is ok, but most of the time it is a constant battle between the 2 of us. She wants to be in control of every situation, if she doesnt get her way she screams and throws herself on the floor, and sometimes hits me. I always try telling her in a nice voice Christina stop that, I will repeat it several times, then i warn her if she doesnt stop she will be punished.  Also when I discipline her she will cry that I dont love her anymore! I ALWAYS tell her i love her even when she is not behaving, I tell her I love her all of the time, i just dont like the way she is behaving. She continues to say this to me every time. When she throws her tantrums I tried the ignoring her thing, the screams just get louder and go on forever
Sometimes when she sees I am getting upset she will actually
laugh in my face, and continue to defy. The only way for me to get control of the situation is take her and smack her in the butt and put her in the bedroom. I hate treating this way but its the only way to make her stop. For a little while anyway, before I know it, we are battling over something else. My main concern is she acts this way only with me. When she is with others such as daycare or visiting her father or sometimes my friend will watch her for me, they will tell me what angel she is! Dont get me wrong, she does have a sweet side to her when she is with me, just help me understand why she defies only me in the ways i have explained.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The best thing for you to do is to leave the room when she is out of control. If you are not there, she will have no one to perform for. However, make sure that she is safe. It sounds like it is a control issue for her. She may continue to scream for quite a while to see if you really mean it but if you give in, you have lost and she has won again. She really likes getting a reaction out of you. She will become worse before she gets better (extinction burst) but then the behavior will decrease when it is not effective any more. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Much as the situation must strike you as unusual, it really is not. This is pretty typical behavior for many pre-schoolers. It is very encouraging that she acts in a quite normal fashion with others. It will be important for you to stop taking personally her remarks about your not loving her. Ignore these - do not offer reassurances. These are the rantings of a three-year-old who isn't getting her way. She becomes frustrated and then overwhelmed with anger. Also, there's no point in spanking her. Simply place her in time out until she calms down. Absolutely do not try to reason with her when she is in such emotional turmoil - reason will not prevail. What will help you the most is a systematic, consistent response to misbehavior. Take a look at Lynn Clark's book SOS: Help for Parents. You will likely be pleased with its straightforward, practical approach to managing childhood behavior.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments