Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

5-year old jealous of new baby??

My 5-year old son has been acting out and it's only getting worse. It started last summer.  Now he has a new baby brother that is here (3 weeks old), and my son has been very verbal towards me and my husband and he is getting into trouble at school every day.  We have tried times outs, spankings, taking things away from him, and nothing seems to work. We are at a loss for what to do. He tells me that I'm mean all the time. My son is from a previous marriage that was extremely verbal abusive.  I left his father when my son was 2 years old. Do you think his behavior is due to the new baby or could he be remembering his childhood?? He is a smart child and he knows when he's being bad. It just doesn't bother him that he's in trouble. Sometimes he just smirks at us when we are scolding him.  When we ask him why he does things, he never has an answer.  And when we spank him, he may cry for 5 mins and then he's up and laughing at us afterwards.  We have an appt with a psychologist, but it's not until March.  If he continues to get into trouble at school, they are going to kick him out. He is currently enrolled in a christian school and they don't tolerate too much bad behavior.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions????  

Please help us. We are desperate!
Kim
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Is my stepson acting out? was started.
Helpful - 0
I am having similar difficulties with my daughter who is 6 years old. Her problems started at about 3 or 4. I also just had a baby. The baby hasnt changed her behavior much, I see a little jealousy, but when she starts crawling around we are going to have problems. My daughter shows no remorse for the bad things she does. She is obbsessed with the dog, she cant leave him alone, she hits him, yells at him, kicks him. Same with the cat. Its horrible. She thinks its hilarious when she gets in trouble. Timeouts(yes done properly), spanking, ignoring bad behavior, rewarding good behavior. Nope nothing works. I try to be a good mother, I spend time with her when shes not attacking or screaming at me, I read her 3 stories, sing a song and do "happy thoughts" with her every night. We were going to counseling for 7 months and got nowhere. They said ADHD and tried to put her on meds. They fluffed off the fact that she hurts herself(has fractured a tooth, knocked 2 loose, falls, runs into stuff), animals(has killed a hampster and a parakeet,currently torturing the dog and cat), and me(hitting, scratching, kicking etc...) I went to our pediatrician and was recomended to another doctor. But same old problem, have to wait 2 months for the appt. I just want to know whats wrong with her, can it be fixed, is it my fault. Im going crazy.

Other things she does. Peers in school dont like her inappropriate behavior. Obsessed with smelling her hands,food, and toys. Freaks out over everything, nothing goes the way she wants it to. Abnormally attached to her stuffed animals. Talks TOOOO much to strangers when we are out and is skiping around in sentences and pretty much talking nonsense to them, trying to tell her life story in 2 minutes.
The list goes on and on...
Any advice would be helpful

Thanks, feels good to vent
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It's very unlikely that your son's behavior is brought on by remembering his younger years. However, it may well be that the influence of those early years is playing a role in his behavior. It's also not very likely that the addition of the baby is a central issue, though I'd need to evaluate a child before I could be definitive about that. Is there any family history of mood disorder? It is possible that his behavior is symptomatic of childhood onset mood disorder (e.g., depressive disorder). In any case, a systematic program of behavior management is required. If you read Lynn Clark's book titled SOS: Help for Parents, you'll see the sort of plan I'm recommending. I will address the school behavior here: Establish a contingeny system, day by day. Make something your son values (e.g., video game, television, outdoor play) contingent on following the rules at school. Do this on a 24-hour basis - that is, every day he wakes up is a 'new' day and he can earn whatever privilege you decide upon.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments