Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Behavioral Question

I have a 7 year old child in first grade.  Academically he is above average scoring 95 to 100's on most every thing he does. He also works independently getting his work done. He will do his homework on the bus ride home or quietly at the table when he arrives and it takes him no longer than 15 minutes to complete. Behaviorally he is not up to par though. He speaks when the teacher is speaking.  He has trouble sitting in his seat, and sometimes he forgets to put away his materials. The teacher said that sometimes he will get out of his seat and walk around when he isn't supposed to and also said when he is being reprimanded he doesn't seem the understand he's done anything wrong.  He doesn't show any remorse or he smiles/laughs when he's getting reprimanded. The teacher also said he craves attention.  He likes to hug people all the time.  

I'm not sure if these are things he will grow out of.  He is the middle child of three.  I also have a 9 year old and a 4 month old as well. The school feels that these bahavioral issues will eventually interfere with his academic work.  We have a very strong family with a lot of love and support from both parents.  At home if he's done something wrong he does tend to smile when getting yelled at but he will cry if he realizes it's serious.

Are these symptoms of something more serious?  The school is prompting me to go to a doctor and test him for ADD/ADHD.  Is this something I should consider?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi I can surely relate to this conversation,I have custody of  my 3 grandchildren the 2 boys 8 and 9 (10.5months apart),and my grabdaughter is 4. anyway these 3 children were raised in a very abusive and neglective atmusphere until we got custody 1.5 urs ago. amy how both the boys were haveing alot of behavior and educational problems.I hired counsletr and bejavior anylist, they were both diagnosed with ADHD and after alot of denying them meds ,I wanted them to have an oppertunity to learn and excel,they have been through so much, practically raising themselves.being moved from school to scool.in 1st and secound grade and could barly write there name and could not read at all, or even tie there shoes. I agreed to start meds,one was put on adderral and the olgest was given concerta. everyday before the 9year old went opn his meds,I would get notes from his teacher dailt, saying things like he was disturbing class,he was jumpinh out of his seat,he was acting crazey or he does not follow directions, well the very firsy dat that he took his meds,I started recieving motes saying he is a great student and always is polite and he is finishing his work, and he is following direction. and the 8 yr old he seemed to improve but losy his appitite, and wold become very emotional and sad,wwe had his meds changed yo concerta and he is excelling also. I am very proud to say that with th ADHD meds and lots of help from the school,myself,the boys and summer school My bys are both HONER ROLL STUDENTS. all of this in 1.5 yrs thank you
Helpful - 0
Hello, My husband posted the comment above. My son is now 6 almost 7 years old and was put on ritalin at age 5. They don't recommend putting children on it at that age, but my son was a sure bet for it. I did not want to do it at first but did not want neglect his academic learning from him. I held him back for k this year and I now know I did the right thing. With his meds he takes 5mg per day so at least his is setting and learning for workbook time at least. It lasts for about 4 hours. I hated the idea of meds itself but it has helped him soooo much. I want to change to adderall I'm not sure if that is how you spell it but I can't give him more than 1 pill a day or he has a facial tic he does. In school it took me almost the whole year before I would even consider he was adhd. What he did was, stand at the cubicles and stare while humming frosty the snow man and jingle bells, He would not or could not remember what the story was about that the teacher had read, He would throw food in the cafeteria, he would still poop in his pants at 6 years old(already seen a GI dr. about it to rule out any medical problems), stare into space while sitting, would not be quiet for story time, messing with his shoes, rolling around in the floor during story time, sings constantly, throws water at the other kids while washing hands, constanly wants all the attention and interrupts while people are talking no matter how many times I remind him not to, spits on the floor tables at me ect. throws food on the ceiling at home, pulls his hair, scratches his face, can't follow through with any task that is given to him. He has a serious anger problem and sees a professional about it. He says he is going to die me. When he does not get his way he says you don't love me. Some people may look at this and say you need to disipline that boy oh believe me we do, If your son is anything like mine then good luck. I would not recommend any meds to anyone but this is what sort of works for us, just maybe we will find something better sooner or later. I hope all goes well for you.
Helpful - 0
I went through the ADHD thing with my son.  this disorder is often misdiagnosed.  The only sure way to test for it is some kind of brain scan (not sure what it's called)  but if you demand it before putting him on meds they will have to do it. Also if they don't really need the meds or are getting too much it can cause serious side effects such as facial ticks and terets syndrome (violent mood swings)
Helpful - 0
Hi,

Before jumping to ADHD, I would find out a couple of more things:

1. Bordem: This is what it REALLY sounds like. Perhaps he is not challenged enough. Try finding out what his routine is at school.

2. Giftedness: Could he be "playing" dumb. Gifted kids also challenge adults more so than non gifted.  I would check out some characteristecs of this too. Also, displaying affection is a good thing, and a trait found amoung the gifted.

3. Finally, try talking to him in the mornings when it is fresh on his mind about how important it is to follow rules. A LOT OF KIDS THIS AGE SIMPLY DO NOT ADHERE TO RULES AND REGULATIONS THAT WELL ALL THE TIME. It really is unreasonable, since exploration is what drives this age group. I would do this for a week or two. You will be conditioning him! Sometimes it is not important until mommy or daddy really stresses it is.

Good luck!
Nicky

Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think the best approach at this time is straightforward limit setting. He should not be permitted to leave his seat and, if he does, he should be placed in time out. If he does display ADHD, it is not of a very serious degree of severity, and I really don't think it makes sense to pusue an evaluation now. My guess is that common sense limit setting and, if necessary, discipline, should take care of the problem. The issue of 'remorse' is not important. This observation is often made about children this age, and I think it's pretty irrelevant, to tell you the truth. What is there to be remorseful about? The behavior is a petty violation of the classroom rules. While it needs to be addressed, it really isn't a matter that calls for remorse. Later on, remorse is a response children are capable of displaying. Bit don't worry about it now.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments