Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How to diagnose my son correctly

Please help us to diagnose and improve our son's many complications.  He is almost 12 years old.  He has been already diagnosed with bi-lateral retinoblastoma, cleft lip and palate, Chromosome 13 mutation and possible Asperger's syndrome or ADD?  That is what we're trying to figure out.  He is legally bline in one eye and had the other enucleated when he was two.  He currently attends a school for the blind and visually impared.  So far it's been going pretty well.  He is learning braille but severely lacks in social development.  He brother is 14 and has also been diagnosed with Asperger's.  This year he has been staying overnight in the dorm at school for two night a week as we were hoping it would help with friendship developement with his peers.  It has not.  Now we get a lot of reports of him inappropriately touching adults and now one incident of him exposing his private areas in public.  We are so hoping that someone can help us.  He is an extremely lovable boy and very smart but so complex.  We think that we get one issue figured out and then around the next corner is a whole new one.  Needless to say he's spent much of his younger days in the Dr.s office and hates it when we get anywhere near one.  His communication is basically not understandable and often times goes into "Video talk" as we call it.  He will recite games and videos just to talk or have something to say.  His self-confidence is very low .  Which way do we turn now?
beadmom
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think you can find help or at least lots of informations about the kind of problem you are having with your child here:
http://www.conductdisorders.com/

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I think you can find help, or at least lots of informations about the kind of problem you are having with your son at this forum:
http://www.conductdisorders.com/

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
my 6 year old is out of controll. he will not lissen to us at all
when we go to the store he will run around  and sream. he is always moving around. like at dinner time he scream alot and he will not lissen to us when we tell him to stop. when we try to give him time out he scream and kick. he will not lissen to us at all. he also got a speach broplem he talk like a 3 year old.
i don't know what to do anymore can anyone help me ?????
Helpful - 0
If your son has an autistic disorder, he would be expected to become easily overstimulated and off task.  He doesn't sound Aspergers to me, but I would suspect childhood autism, on the basis of your information.  Keep in mind that kids with pervasive developmental disorders don't cue in to the relevent; they focus on what others don't notice, but they fail to notice what is apparent to everyone else.  So, they are indeed inattentive.  Also, they are extremely sensitive to lights, sound, sudden change, etc.  What is easy for most people to tolerate can feel intolerable to a child with autism; sounds that you and I might not notice might literally be painful to him.  Eye-contact might feel like torture to the child with a form of autism.  I'd ask his teacher to jot down specific events that occur BEFORE he becomes disruptive.  What is the environment like at his school, and do the professionals understand his emotional/social needs?  (I'm sure that they care, but do they really understand his needs?)  Is the environment too stimulating, is he expected to suddenly "swich gears" and so on.  Is there a very predictable classroom routine, and what is the class size?  (I suspect he'd respond best to routine and a smaller class size.)  Also, when he reaches out to touch others, which could be for reasons other than affection (such as tactile stimulation), do they respond to his actual needs or respond in a manner that for your son, would be too stimulating?  

Perhaps you could consult with someone who specializes in working with people with autism and ask the person to visit the class, observe your son, and make recommendations that are specific to your child.  Sometimes, the school environment is loving, but is not appropriate for that particular child.  If they are indeed concerned about him, the school might be willing to make accomodations.  Tell teachers not to push the social skills at this point.  Sometimes, the low self esteem comes from trying so hard to "fit in" that it's almost a relief when they realize that they don't have to "work so hard;" that it's okay to be different and to find their own unique niche.   Remember that his niche might seem odd to some people, but very comfortable for him.  He might socialize best when engaged in parallel type activities such as video games, card dueling games, etc.  Sometimes, socialization for people on the autistic spectrum is simply feeling comfortable in the presence of someone who doesn't push them to communicate, to laugh, and so on.  Somebody who will just "be there."  Good luck to you.  I respect your determination to discover what is best for your son; he is a lucky young man, and remember that your love for him will provide him with the most valuable "education" he'll ever have.  Please keep us posted, and take care!
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The idea of a pharmacological evaluation defintely makes sense, though I'm not encouraged that psychostimulant medication will be of much benefit to your son.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your reply.  We are not wondering about a residential facility but whether an ADD medicine of some typemight help to slow down some of the constant video-talk and hand flapping that goes on.  We were thinking about Asperger's because his brother has it and we are very familiar to the symptoms and behaviors that go along with it.  He very closely resembles his brother at the same age.  Even his IEP states almost word for word the same problems staying on task, being disruptive to others and needing constant prompts to get something done.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If your son does display ADHD, it is surely the least of his worries. The idea of a condition along the Pervasive Developmental Disorder spectrum certainly makes sense. Depending on his current array of providers, a second opinion evaluation with a child psychiatrist wold be in order. How did the psychiatric diagnoses (Asperger's, ADD) come about? Are you wondering if he requires around-the-clock structure and supervision, such as in a residential facility?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments