Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

child behavior

My son is 4.5 and i've had complaints since nursery school.    first off, he's pretty good for me and dh, he's an only child ith some sensory issues he gets OT for.   He also has a Seit at school & play therapy and a social skills class.

His teacher complains about him constantly.  He doesn't listen, is distracted, doesn't comply, sticks his tongue out when she'll ask him to do something,   shakes his fist,  threatens with "i'll call the police" and argues with some of the kids.   He also touches kids too much and gets in their space too often.

Most of the above therapies have been for a year and although his handwriting has improved little else and maybe socially, he's even worse.    Help me to help him.  He's in a mainstream school , public and his teacher yells a lot.  Mostly at him I'm sure.   Was evaluated by school system, and a dev ped.   Shadow teacher suggests adhd, little found during evaluation as one on one he's quite ok, it's realy in a group he has a problem.   I  feel like pulling him out of everything as it's not helping and maybe it's too much and making him worse.     He's happy and jolly (especially wwhen getting his way) , just has no clue about things, right or wrong.     And very miffed when things don't go HIS way.   Advise me please.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I recently joined this website and am looking for answers to a similar issue.

My son is 4 and in a private school. He never had issues with potty training, hitting or biting. He does well in social settings with other children, but recently I had to have a meeting with his teachers at their request.

My husband and I sat down with them (4 women) and only one of them really did the talking. She expressed to me her disappointment with my child telling her and the other teachers "no" and that he is "not being afraid" of THEIR authority. They suggested that a psychological evaluation be done by a doctor that is available through our diocese.

I reluctantly agreed to this and am just beginning on this path.

I, as well as many others, think that my son is a classic 4 year old boy. There is no history of ADHD or bipolar or any disorder in my family or my husbands family. Does this stuff come up over night?

I have had other run ins with this teacher, other parents have the same concerns. At what point do they (the teachers) accept that they may be responsible for the behavior? You have to earn trust and give respect to get it. If you are yelling at a child that is damaging. I know me and I know that I most certainly would not tolerate someone yelling at me and being condescending....why should our children?

Class size, big or small, can be a factor.....but sometimes it just comes down to personality conflicts between the child and teacher. How do you fix that?

Best of luck to you.....if you can offer me any advice please reply back.

Best regards
Helpful - 0
classes will ONLY get larger.    What do I do for his 'anger' and backtalk?

Curious,  i thought this behavior, and lack of attention, was sure signs of adhd.   NO?
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It is likely that your son requires a small group pre-school setting where he can receive more structure and limit-setting than can often occur in the mainstream setting. A major developmental task of pre-school children is to become acclimated to social interaction. This can be quite overwhelming for some children. At his young age I would certainly not focus on the possible ADHD. Even if he proves to display ADHD, it would not account for most of the bothersome behaviors you described. Do you have a small group setting available in the school system?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments