Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

16 month old head banging

I know that my son has entered the tantrum stage but I just don't even know what to do. He throws some serious fits. Any time he gets upset, he bangs his head on whatever he's near. He'll literally walk to something just to bang his head. And I wouldn't care so much if he was just bumping it but the child had a permanent bruise on his forhead. I know it has to hurt him but it's hard to tell because he's already crying when it happens. I have never been the type to pamper a child when they throw a tantrum but here I am, trying to figure out whether to walk away and ignore it or to scoop him up and kiss his head. He's done this in his crib as well, busting his lip open from head banging. He usually goes right to sleep now but when he's throwing his fits, he's just a mess. I certainly don't want him to get the impression that he'll get his way with the headbanging but how can I really ignore it. He doesn't stop. what on earth coud I possibly do to get him to stop? What if he ends up really hurting himself in the meantime?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My son did this head banging thing for over 1 year. He was 5 months old when it started. Like you I could not believe this type of behavior. I question what I was doing so wrong to make this kid this angery. May I say he is now 20 years old and is fine. I have to agree with the doc on this .JUST IGNORE IT.This to shall pass. Remember little kids little problems big kids big problems. The fun has just begun. LOL
Helpful - 0
That must be very worrisome!  I feel for you.  I feel that dr. is prob speaking truth.  If you have trouble with this right off the bat phone a psychologist and get an apointment and see what she says.  Get more and more help about this and if the same answers come from the "professional world' then you are probably on the right tract and f eel safer about it than just going and doing it and not sure if it works.  I am not trying to discredit the doctor.  He KNOWS.
What I am saying is that for me I do lots of checking that I am on the right road and then I am Confident that I am doing the right thing and dont second myself.  Hope this does not confuse you at all.  Go with the Doc if it does.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Approximately one in five children display head banging (for various reasons) during the first several years. When head banging occurs as part of a tantrum, adopt a matter-of-fact approach, go about your business. Do not call attention to it. If you do, you will likely reinforce the behavior. The head banging will not injure your child in the sense of having any brain injury. This is what worries most parents the most. The child's head can weather the storm - it's 'built' to endure tumbles and various bumps along the road through childhood. This behavior will disappear on its own.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments