Blank
Aa
A
A
Close
Blank

Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs Group

A group for information and discussion and for emotional support for owners and companions of dogs with Chronic Kidney Failure. This is a complex and traumatic illness and affects about a third of all dogs over the age of 12yrs. While there is (as yet) no cure for this disease, there are things that can be done to improve and extend the quality of life for our best friends - and when all else fails, there are people that have traveled this path already that can offer empathy and support to grieving owners. If you wish to ask questions or talk about a particular dog, please head your thread with your dog's name, as this will help identify the discussion.

21 - 40 (of 185) questions
NEWEST
ACTIVE
I have a very hard time getting my dog to take her Azodyl. She used to love pill pockets, so meds weren't a problem. Now, she won't go near a pill pocket. I've tried wrapping it in cheese, peanut butter, other treats, but no luck. The ve...
  Posted
17566731 tn?1457907522
My poor girl Zola has been lethargic and disinterested in her kibble off and on this month. Two nights ago I bought a bag of a different food to see if she would try it. I mixed it with some old food and she ate the whole bowl right awa...
  Posted
1916673 tn?1420236870
I am currently researching and writing a piece about raw dog food, which seems to be a topic that is gathering interest among all dog owners. There is some thought - with evidence - that feeding raw can help some dogs with kidney failure...
  Posted
Hi Tony! I've been voraciously reading your group's postings/answers. My dog was perfectly fine with SLIGHT high BUN (35-38). I put her on the NF diet in an effort to keep the kidney disease at bay, and suddenly her pancreatitis went cra...
  Posted
Quick intro: My dog is 17 1/2 (old I know), and last year he had a bad pancreatitis attack that led to kidney failure. After being put on IV fluids for 3 days, he got much better and the kidney failure actually went away. However the sam...
  Posted
Hello everyone, Back in November our beagle Lucy was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure when she was having her blood tested to see if she was ok to be put under and have her teeth cleaned. When the results came back the Vet said she...
  Posted
hi All I have an 11 year old French Bulldog who is overall active and healthy, always been a fussy eater. She is allergic to everything for the most part and eats a raw Rabbit diet. She's currently on Apoquel for allergies, no other m...
  Posted
My 10 year old dalmation has just been diagnosed with chronic renal failure. she is doing very well on renal diet with good appetite and generally looking good at the moment. She is used to a daily raw bone as part of her morning routine...
  Posted
My 10 year 3 month old American Eskimo has been diagnosed with CRF Stage 3. His Creatinine levels are 4.5, and BUN is 68. Our vet has put him on IVF, but he continues to vomit sometimes. He is peeing after day 1 of IVF, and I'm pretty mu...
  Posted
Hi Everyone! We just adopted our girl Sadie, she is only 14 months old but after frequent peeing / chronic thirst I just knew something wasnt right. We had her blood work done & she is in the early stages of kidney failure. Here are her ...
  Posted
Hello all, Here's my situation, my beagle snoop is 12yo and while he is aging was was not visibly ill. A few days ago he went outside and came back in showing signs of pain he was eating and drinking normally. I took him to the vet af...
  Posted
17265817 tn?1455105849
Hi Tony, Thank you for this wonderful support group! My little girl was diagnosed with CKF a month ago. Aside from doing everything I can to help her - I'm also trying to find out as much as possible about this horrible disease so that ...
  Posted
Hi Tony I'm desperate for any advice that could help my beloved dog 'Tattoo'. Tattoo is an english staffordshire bull terrier, currently 10 years and 8 months old. Tattu has been diagnosed with chronic kidney failure AND inflamm...
  Posted
Hi, I'm so glad I found this group. Our 14 year old beagle has just been diagnosed with kidney failure, stage 3, almost 4. In April last year, Jess was given just weeks to live, she had stopped eating, her back legs would collapse. and s...
  Posted
Hi my beloved nine year old shih tzu has just been diagnosed with apparent kidney failure she showed no symptoms at all until suddenly she lost all her weight rapidly along with hair loss she has been to vets qyite a bit now trying to ge...
  Posted
Hi im reading posts on blood tests for BUN and creatinine levels to determine ckf im just not sure are these specific tests run or are they on the blood biochemistry panel test vets run sorry just needed this explained as vets never did
  Posted
1916673 tn?1420236870
One of the great things about this and other similar canine kidney failure groups is that we learn bits of useful information along the way, some of which may be relevant to our own dogs - and if just one dog and one owner is helped thro...
  Posted
I'm so grateful I stumbled across this site - your words of advice and compassion are wonderful. My Yorkie Nellie, almost 13, is in kidney failure and it's breaking my heart. I have no family and she's everything to me. She still enjoys ...
  Posted
1916673 tn?1420236870
To one and all, regardless of your situation and circumstances, I wish you a very peaceful Christmas. I cannot be with you in person so ... cyber-hugs all round. For those that have lost their "best friends" this year, my special heartfe...
  Posted
I gave my dog an anti-diarrhea medicine and thought she'd die - the next day (18 hours or so later) she finally wanted food/water/could get up. I have been giving Fortiflaura and even put it on her tongue to help with diarrhea - I'm sca...
  Posted
A
A
Recent Activity
Blank
Lilahs_mom joined this group
Welcome them!
May 04
Blank
Infinitysa joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 25