Aa
A
A
Close

Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs Group

A group for information and discussion and for emotional support for owners and companions of dogs with Chronic Kidney Failure. This is a complex and traumatic illness and affects about a third of all dogs over the age of 12yrs. While there is (as yet) no cure for this disease, there are things that can be done to improve and extend the quality of life for our best friends - and when all else fails, there are people that have traveled this path already that can offer empathy and support to grieving owners. If you wish to ask questions or talk about a particular dog, please head your thread with your dog's name, as this will help identify the discussion.

21 - 40 (of 161) questions
NEWEST
ACTIVE
My 13 year old dog Sunshine was diagnosed with kidney and liver disease a few months ago. We immediately put her on special prescription food but now she refuses to get it. She's now displaying typical symptoms of renal failure. W...
IlovemySunshine | Last answer
Hello Tony and all...found this group after a devastating trip to the vet this morn, for what was supposed to be a routine dental cleaning....pre op bloodwork came back BUN117.9, Creatinine 2.9, total Protein 8.3, ALT(GPT) 467, ALP 809. ...
traceysea | Last answer
I have learned a lot from this group & really appreciate all of the helpful info. My Baby girl is an 11 year old cockatoo& had a UTI and is on Baytril every 12 hours. This is her second round of this antibiotic. She has liver disease ALT...
Judihsc | Last answer
1916673_tn?1420236870
I'm looking more into phosphorus and phosphate binders, which can be a very confusing subject for many owners. There are many different binders available and vets often seem to have their own particular preference. I hope soon to put som...
tonyb286 | Last comment
Hi my dog Lucy was diagnosed in May with Kidney disease I thought it was early stage but her creatinine level was 644 umol/L Alk Phos 78, 1 month later her creatinine was 650 umol/L , the last few weeks has seen a lot of vomiting and bl...
Lucyboy | Last answer
My female Retriever Labrador, Sandy, is 8½ years old and is being treated for the past 2 years for hypoparathyroidism. This led to kidney disease. She is on a diet of renal nuts and tins - nothing else. She gets half a Fortekor 20mg (I t...
SandyDad | Last answer
Was just told this week that our guy gus was in kidney failure. I am at a loss as to what to do. We have put him on the k/d diet the following are is lab results: cbc WBC 10.7 RBC 5.2 HGB 13.2 HCT 38.4 MCV 73.8 MCH 25.4 MCHC ...
ShariMgus | Last answer
Interseted to hear from people feeding tripe and what type to source, natures menu is one i have tried today but want the best nutritional values i can find any input appreciated.
katster69 | Last comment
I am here (again) at the Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs pg, but I don't see any "join" button. I have looked several times on different days. I did join some part some weeks ago, because I get automatically logged in when I click the...
Benjicarol | Last answer
My 16 year old corgi was diagnosed with CRF a month ago today. He has never had any health problems and is in great shape (he worked goats until just recently). I noticed extreme thirst, multiple accidents during the day, restlessness...
Lalasoupy | Last comment
Update: my boy was given a few weeks in March and we are still snuggling. :) He still enjoys weekly trips to the lake and swimming around like a puppy. just in the last week he has dramatically lost interest in his canned KD. He is stil...
Lalasoupy | Last answer
Hello, I just stumbled upon this group while continuing my week long research into kidney failure. My dog Blu (an english setter) was diagnosed with kidney failure about 10 days ago. His Creatinine level was a 7 and his BUN was 111, s...
KLStokes | Last answer
16060332_tn?1445007055
Hi Tony, thank you for running this group. I hope it is alright if I jump right in with a question, but after receiving my dog's latest blood results I am very worried. I have posted some of his results, they are in the English system, I...
BettyGraham | Last comment
16180121_tn?1445906919
Hello Tony! I have a 15 year old chihuahua recently diagnosed with kidney disease. We took her in last week and the vet kept her for two days on IV fluids, antibiotic & nausea meds. She also had dehydration. Her initial test results we...
Joale1 | Last answer
1916673_tn?1420236870
I have recently spent some time looking into the functioning of different antacids. After some considerable amount of reading, I have come to the conclusion that one of the best of this group of medications is Prilosec (omeprazole). I di...
tonyb286 | Last answer
Before I start to say anything , thank you everyone for being so informative and you have been a great help . I will try my best to chip in ALL information that I can gather so that it could benefit all others out there that is in the s...
cheesekoh | Last answer
1916673_tn?1420236870
If any owner in this group has or is using Purina Beneful dry dog food for their dogs, please contact me by private message.
tonyb286 | Posted
I'm absolutely devastated. On October 3 I took Freeway to the vet just for precautionary labs because he has been having some episodes of nighttime/sleep incontinence. Nothing extreme, just the occasional accident over the last month. I ...
SamiPix | Last answer
15945427_tn?1444239993
my 15 yr old dachshund was diagnosed with kidney failure last night, he is on 250cc X2 a day sub Q. Anti nausea and appti increase meds. He lab results Urine Specific Gravity 1.015 BUN 122 Creatinine 2.6 Phosphorus 11.4 I gave h...
winter737 | Last answer
8335135_tn?1397683000
The following is a progress report on Oliver who is 15 years old. As you all know he went into severe kidney failure on April 5th, three days prior to his 15th birthday. Dr. Shultz was very impressed and happy with Oliver's results :) H...
Fitmaltesemom | Last answer
A
A
Recent Activity
Blank
mcfur is ... Comment
Feb 12
Blank
mcfur joined this group
Welcome them!
Feb 12
Blank