Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
16702 tn?1234090645

Effects of chemotheraphy on teeth.

I have Ovarian Cancer Stage 4 and have had 10 cycles of Carboplatin and Paciltaxel(Taxol) since Oct 2006.  Have had no side effects except lose of hair, no nausea or mouth sores either.  On July 31, 2007, I went for my 6 month dental check up and my dentist told me that my chemo treatments were causing" root resorption".  I have been using a xtra soft/for sensitive teeth toothbrush for more than 20 years, brush and floss every day.

My dentist recommended I use a special mouthwash product or special toothpaste with high % of fluoride but  I live in Thailand and we don't have much of a selection of dental care products.  I cannot find these on the local market nor does my hospital, which is a medical school, carry these types of products. I can arrange for the product sent to me from the USA if I know what to ask for.  I am scheduled to continue my chemo meds another 3 months than another scan than either stop, continue or change the meds.

What exactly is happening to my teeth?Is this a gum disease?  How would you treat this? Can I use a natural remedy to treat this as I prefer not to add more chemicals into my body?  What should I do to minimize this problem? What else should I be aware of?

Thank you for your response.
Kimchi
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
all you need to do is extra oral hygiene care by using soft tooth brush and tooth paste containing high content of floride like colgate total and any mouthwash containing fl + aviod acidic drinks and carbonated beverges like pepsi 7up leomon orange etc as much as possible + drink alot of water+ use  suger free gum as it  stimulates the release of saliva
Helpful - 0
16702 tn?1234090645
My dentist, USA trained and a dental professor in a dental school in Thailand, told me that root resorption is the softening of the enamel on my teeth.  She did said that I have dry mouth (xerostomia) from the chemo which causes the root resorption.  Suggested I use a mouth wash or high fluoride toothpaste and keep mouth moist by drinking lots of water. Guess at this point, do you think that a toothpaste high in fluoride will help keep my mouth moist and slow the root resorption problem?
Tks
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I am not sure what the dentist means by 'root resorption'--is that decay? I have never heard of root resorption from chemotherapy. If your mouth is dry(xerostomia) this certainly can increase the decay rate. There is nothing wrong with using a toothpaste with fluoride or  fluoride mouth rinse.I do not know of any natural remedies that might help.If your mouth is dry it is important that try to keep it as moist as possible. There are some over the counter items that can be used to substitute for your own saliva. Much good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.