Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Anxious(ity) depressed about teeth and gums!

I am depressed and anxious about me teeth and gums, I fear I will have problems again soon, I have already had gingivitus last year, and my gums have receded abit more due to my overbrushing!!!!

What to do, I know I overbursh alot, and want to stop, but can't!  

Also while im here, past couple days I have developed a strange taste in the mouth, mainly at the left side where I had my temporary filling on Monday, and still the left side of my mouth is abit swollen, and now under my mouth hurts abit on both sides!!
Aswell, my tongue is stil abit swollen on the left side too, because my tongue hangs over the teeth on the left abit and it feels strange :(
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have a small lump/bump on my gums above my front teeth
Helpful - 0
I will be asking my dentist about the sonicare electirc toothbrush, it sounds good, but I want to see what he says about it!
Also I have taken ur advice about a diary, I'll see if that works, good idea that, thank you. :)
Helpful - 0
i have this small red lump on my gums.. just above my front teeth.. it doesn't really hurt when i touch it, but im just curious about what it is.
Helpful - 0
it doesnt really hurt but what im worried about is that it's been there since that part of my gums started aching.. now, although it doesnt hurt anymore, that lump is still there, it's never gotten smaller. please reply thanks!
Helpful - 0
My suggestion would be to buy a Sonicare electric toothbrush which you can use for the sides of the teeth, so that your gums don't get damaged. There's a built-in timer and you should try and stick to it as far as possible. Because this brush doesn't allow you to apply too much pressure, it would be better for your gums. For the occlusal (biting) surfaces, you could use a normal toothbrush; your urge to overdo it wouldn't matter as much there.

You could also keep a little "diary" where you jot down how often you brush and for how long, and then try and reduce brushing time every few days, until you get it down to "normal".

If you overbrush because you're worried about not doing it "well enough", an electric toothbrush would also take the guesswork out of things, if you follow the instructions that come with it.
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think you need to speak to someone about the need to brush your teeth as excessively as you do. I can't diagnosis the other problems you are having and may be related to the complusiveness regarding your teeth and gums.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.