Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Periodontal pockets

Is it possible to close periodontal pockets of 4mm using regular toothbrushing and flossing?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
For years (decades!), every time I went to my dentist, he would stress daily flossing and massaging my gums with stimudent.  Brushed daily, but rarely flossed.  (One roll of floss would last for a year!) I was a bleeder.  Look at my gums and they would bleed. Fortunately, the my pockets were mosts 2's and 3's, maybe a few 4's.  I was told that brushing and flossing was most effective on pockets 3mm or less.  After that, a dentist or perio may have to treat them.

Recently, for some unknown reason, I started to brush(ultarsonic)and FLOSS after EVERY meal or snack.  Within a week most of the bleeding stopped.  After less than a month, no more bleeding, not even a trace of a pink in the sink. Dentist is amazed at how health my gums are, though not surprised at the results.  No matter where he poked, result was the same: No blood!  The gums had tightened up and the depth of pockets reduced.  

If only I had started this relationship with floss when I was young!
Helpful - 0
I agree with Forum-DDS-JB.  You should be able to maintain the pocket and possibly eliminate it with good home care and regular professional care.  If the pocket increses to 5 mm then have the dentist treat it.  I have seen many 4 mm pockets resolved with good home care and regular prophylaxis.  The biggest challlenge the profession has is patient compliance.
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I am not sure that the pockets that are 4mm. can be eliminated but I think they are maintainable.I certainly would not like to see them get any deeper.Your age comes into play here. The younger you are the more aggressive I would be to try to eliminate these pockets.Your perio condition should be closely monitored.
Helpful - 0
yes
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.