Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Stretch Marks or What?

My 16 year old son previously had small stretch marks on his torso area.  I was told that was because he gained and lost weight.  Now, however, they seem to be almost growing if you will.  They're spreading all over now on his chest, shoulders, stomach, back (upper & lower).  It seems like they're really increased in number in the past month or so.  

I'me actually worried that it may be something else.  Has anyone experienced such an 'outbreak' of stretch marks before?

Thanks
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,
Stretch marks are fine lines on the body that occur from tissue under your skin tearing from rapid growth or over-stretching. It is a common condition that does not cause any significant medical problems but can be of cosmetic concern for some people.
Stretch marks occur in certain areas of the body where skin is subjected to continuous and progressive stretching. These include:
-Adolescents undergoing growth spurts (thighs, buttocks, breasts)
-Shoulders in body-builders
-Obese or overweight people
Stretch marks can also occur from prolonged use of oral or topical corticosteroids. They are also a feature of the disease Cushing's syndrome, where increased adrenal cortical activity i.e. excessive circulating cortisol is implicated in their development.
Stretch marks occurring in adolescents become less visible over time and generally require no treatment. In other cases, if stretch marks are a cause of concern then the following treatments may be tried, but have not been proven to be effective:
Topical retinoid therapy
Chemical peels .
ref:http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermal-infiltrative/striae.html
Maybe you need to get him examined to rule out a medical condition that could be the cause.
Regards.

Helpful - 0
Hi, I'm 16 years old (a girl) and I've had stretch marks since i was about 13.  I'm not extremely overweight, just a bit.  My stretchmarks used to be barely visible but over the last couple months I've seen them doubling in number and in size.  They've recently accumulated my back right under my shoulder and behind my armpit.  My stomache is pretty much purple and I do have them on the underside of my arm and also some on my breasts.  I don't know what to do.  They are horribly embarrasing.  I've been hiding in hoodies and long sleeve t-shirts because I'm afraid of people seeing them.  I don't even want my boyfriend of 8 months to see them.  I just want them to go away, I know I am a pretty girl, but with all of these stretch marks, I've lost my self esteem.  And I was reading what you were saying about the hump on the neck.. I have that.  Do you think I might possibly have this Cushings Disease?  What does it do to you?  Can it be cured?  If I get diagnosed and get help, can it possibly help me lose weight?  I also get winded very easily, I've been pretty tired all of the time lately.  I don't like to excersise because I am afraid of fainting, as I have almost done a couple of times in my gym class.  Please write back ASAP :]
Helpful - 0
Hi Aurora
I was reading with interest about the 16 year old.  My son is 18 and the symptoms are similar, other than my son has not gained or lost weight.  He has the stretch marks which cause him to become depressed and lose self esteem.  He is an extremely good looking boy.  He gets depressed and he has serious mood swings.
His stretch marks are also on the area between the elbow and underarm and also on his shoulders and lower back.
He does not seem to have the fatty deposit at the base of his neck and he doesn't have as many stretch marks as one sees on the pictures featuring cushings disease.
cem777
Helpful - 0
I have cushings. At lest thats what my docter and mom say. But they haven't found out where the tumor is.
Helpful - 0
149087 tn?1258453820
The stretch marks in my arms did come on pretty quick. They are on the upper underside of my arm. Like from half way between the elbow to the armpit. I hate it, its so ugly and I cant wear sleeveless shirts because of it. The other stretch marks, I couldnt really tell you how fast they appeared because I have had 2 kids and well as you know you get stretch marks from being pregnant. And I know what you mean about the doctors. If you arent satisfied with the first consultation, get a second opinion, and I wouldnt mess with a family doctor, I would go to an endocrinologist. Thats what I did. Good Luck to you, and yeah I would love to know what you find out.

Aurora
Helpful - 0
Hello,

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I'm going to schedule a doctor appointment for him.  You know they always act like you're crazy, but I'm going to push them to test him.  

Did your stretch marks come on suddenly/quickly?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your reply.  I'll let you know what we find out!

Thanks!
Helpful - 0
149087 tn?1258453820
I had a feeling you were going to answer like that. Sorry I have not responded sooner, but I have not been feeling well myself, therefore have not been online much.

Going by the answers you gave me it sounds like he may have cushings disease. I have this too and it sounds like he has all of the symptoms. Go to webmd.com, or google cushings disease. It is an endocrinology problem with the hormones. I have a pituitary tumor that causes mine, and its caused by the body producing too much cortisol, the stress hormone in the body.

I am not a doctor, but like I said going by what you have said it really sounds all too familiar. If I were you I would definatly look into it.

Also if you go to the doctor to have his cortisol levels checked, do not just go by the urine test because this test more than likely will NOT pick it up. I had to have the saliva and blood test along with the urine test to diagnose me.

Good luck...I have never met anyone else with cushings, so if he does happen to have it is there anyway you could keep me posted? my email is amythist2779 if you use yahoo mail. Thanks, and again, good luck!
Aurora
Helpful - 0
Hi, here are the answers as I know them:

The stretch marks are reddish or sort of purple.  They are EXTREMELY noticable, not faded.  They are all over his back and now on his shoulders and the underside of his upper arms.  They are starting to come around to the stomach and he says there are some on his upper thighs.

Almost two years ago he lost about 20 pounds.  In the past two years, he's gained a total of 40 pounds.  I know some of this is normal growth, but I'm also sure he's gained back the 20 he lost in the same areas.  Most of his weight is in his torso area.  His arms are thin as are his legs, but not out of porpotion.  He doesn't really look so overweight, but could definitely use some work in the torso area.  Big belly, etc.  He is a lazy kid that hates sports and physical activity and prefers computers and scholastic academics.  

Sometimes he is easily fatigued, but I chalk that up to a lack of exercise.  Regarding the hump on the neck, I can't look as he's gone to his dad's place, but will when he returns.  He lacks self confidence, so does tend to sort of slump (I think he feels this hides his stomach).

We do eat healthy for the most part, it's just a matter of continually trying him to get active, which is not easy.

Please let me hear your thoughts.  I very much welcome them!  

Thanks so much!
Helpful - 0
149087 tn?1258453820
What color are the stretch marks? Are they really noticeable, or do they look like they are faded? Where on his body have you recently noticed the stretch marks?And I know you said hes gained and lost some weight, but how much weight are we talking about? And is he by any chance gaining the weight back, mainly in his belly and upper back area? Do his arms and legs look smaller or not well proportioned with the rest of his body? Or was it fairly easy for him to lose the weight? Have him stand with his side to you. I want you to look up towards his lower neck. Does it seem to have a hump there leading from the bottom of the neck to the upper part of the back? One more thing, does he have any other unusual symptoms, well maybe that you may have not really noticed. Has he been fatigued lately, like just totally worn out and does he complain of alot of aches and pains all over his body but yet cant remember doing anything to strain himself?

I know I am asking alot of questions, but they are important, so please get back to me as soon as you can. If you answer some of these questions the way I think you might, then I think I know exactly what your son may have because I too suffer from it. But before I go throwing things out there please try to answer the questions I am asking.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions