Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Deep itching pinching sensation all over the sunburn on my back

I spent several days in Bermuda and got a decent sunburn over my entire back. It wasn't really bad, and I've had worse, only not in the last 10 years. So the skin on my back was protected by a t-shirt for the last 10 years and probably didn't get much sun. The burn started to feel better by the third day after I got home. The problem started while I was taking a nap. It felt like what was a very pinpoint pinching itch in one spot. Then I started to feel it all over. I quick took a shower and it was getting worse. I turned the water to cold, but it was still getting worse. After about 10 minutes the pinching pains were extremely intense. I tried lying in a shallow bath of cold water, and although my back was numb the pains did not stop. Some rolling around and pressure on my back would make the pain go away momentarily as if it were an itch, but I could not get it to go away. I tried advil, benadryl, hydrocortisone, dermaplast, sarna, and so on. The pain did not seem to be directly on the surface, but just below it. It wasn't extremely painful like breaking a bone or spraining an ankle, it was just extremely intense and annoying. "Make it stop" sort of thing. I eventually filled up my Jacuzzi and turned on the jets full blast. After about 5-10 minutes, I had successfully attacked all the little "itching" pinching sensations and have basically spent the last 24 hours in the tub. After I got out, I had relief with a few "pinches" here and there for the evening and following morning, but after a bit of movement and activity it started to come back. Still after time out of the tub the feeling starts to come back. Since today is Saturday I'll wait until Monday when then sunburn is probably gone for the most part to go see my doctor. But that will depend on what insight someone can provide for me. Thanks in advance.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I believe I know your pain but I know it as "Hells Itch." I've read about it bringing marines to their knees and people going as far as to take a lighter to the affected area because the burn is a relief from the itch. I started with a dose and a half of benadryl or anything with a antihistamine in it. Start at a bigger dose then continue to use it as directed on the container, hope I could help. Let me know if there's other questions.
Helpful - 0
The peppermint oil worked wonders for my back, are you sure you didn't have something else?
Helpful - 0
The peppermint oil worked wonders for my back, are you sure you didn't have something else?
Helpful - 0
It is not for treatment of itch from sunburn this is different and Yes it does work. This is the first time my daughter has had the pinching and biting sensation not itching that comes later with sunburn and peppermint oil was the only thing that gave her relief. She was ready to go to ER before I read this and put Peppermint oil on her. She has been sunburn lots of times before but this was the first time that this has happened
Helpful - 0
i recently got sunburn and had the terrible itch. The itch i get far outweighs any pain you could have from sunburn. It is not the first time I've been sunburn and got the extremely agonizing itch. I always felt if you could reproduce this feeling it would be the perfect torture method for our army as it will drive you nuts in a short period of time.  I have tried everything to figure out how to control this wretched feeling, from aloes which seem to only make matters, to applying vinegar to my itch which helped a little, both of which I've read to do from the internet.  I again turned to the internet this time looking for a better solution and i found it. I read a few places about 100% peppermint oil that will extinguish the itch so i tried it. I could not believe the results from this remedy, it truly works! I applied it direct;y to my skin and within 20 minutes i completely forgot that i was even itching. It's powers lasted around 4 hours before i had to reapply, but it absolutely works and worth your time. I picked some up from GNC, it costed about $7.00 for the small bottle, but they have a larger bottle as well. Today is 8/8/12
Helpful - 0
PEPPERMINT OIL WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST WENT OUT AND BOUGHT IT LIKE YOU SAID AND NOW IM STANDING ON MY POURCH UNABLE TO BREATHE ITCHING WORSE THEN BEFORE!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
My father, my brothers and I have all experienced exactly what you are describing.  Until someone experiences this it is really hard to understand the intensity and the lack of treatment available.  I searched this out on the internet to offer help to those experiencing it as well.  

After literally spending days in cold showers and anguishing hours....we found a solution. PEPPERMINT OIL.  NOT Peppermint extract, PURE PEPPERMINT OIL.  You can find it at health food and natural food stores.  Some knowing pharmacists will carry it.   Apply directly to the burn.  Your hands or the hands of whoever applies it will feel quite cool for hours or days after because of the effect of the oil, but it is not painful at all (just don't touch your eyes, mouth or nose.   It smells like a candy cane factory for a few days....which after finally getting relief from this awful experience, will become the best smell in the world.  

It seems to work by opening the pores and releasing the heat held deep in the nerves.  

Peppermint oil is pretty strong to apply directly to the skin but it generally only requires one thorough application all over the affected area.  This DOES work.  This is the only thing that really works for this.  It is really quite amazing how well it works too considering how nothing else touches it.

What DOES NOT WORK.... ANY Kind of lotion or gel or cream makes it worse.  

This holds the heat, which is already being held in, and is continuing it's burn at the nerve level.  Avoid any chlorinated or treated water (especially hot tubs... though the pressure of the jets can divert temporarily just like cold shower spray, it is only temporary and can make it worse).

Just so you know, like you, we always experience this at least one to two days AFTER the initial sun burn.  We are not sure why we experience this and so many others do not but we highly recommend that you never repeat this kind of sun exposure.  It will reoccur.  Keep a fresh bottle of peppermint oil on hand just in case and if you ever meet anyone else who has gone through this pass on the word.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions