Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Unidentified skin patches

My daughter presented with what seemed to be a minor scrape on her shin about 10 days ago. I covered it with a bandaid and didn't give another thought to it,until a couple days ago when I noticed the area had become larger and was oozing with a dry scaly look to it. We also found similar areas on her back and the base of her buttocks. The new areas seem to begin with a pimple like appearance and progress from there. She also complains of itching. I tried Neosporin on the bandaid one time and didn't see any improvement. I should mention my daughter is sensitive to certain laundry detergents and I did change the whitener that I use recently. Could this be the problem?  

2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Jim
She may also have "ringworm" which is a fungal infection of the skin.  It often begins a small red pimple and spreads out in a ring pattern from there.  It does itch.  It can be contagious. It is usually treated easily and effectively with an an anti-fungal medication.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Lily:

I'm not sure, but your daughter might have a superfical skin infection called impetigo.  I'd apply bacitracin or neosporin ointment (OTC), and see your pediatrician.  Not serious, but should be treated.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions