Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

New Treatment for Eczema

My 2 year old grandson has been seeing a dermatologist for eczema since he was born.  Nothing has helped, and it seem to be getting worse.  He scratches so much that we have to keep bandaids on to keep him from bleeding.  His Dr. told us about a new treatment called tacrolimus, but said it is not yet on the market.  Could you tell me about this drug and when it will be availabe.  Also, what would you recommend in the meantime?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was lucky enough to be treated with a tacrolimus creme made in an Aveeno moisturiser base, for the treatment of severe contact dermatitis, around my eyes, face, neck, underarms.  It was a "miracle" cure for me, since the steroidal based cremes were doing very little.  The doctor had access to the tacrolimus and I was part of a study, I'm sure.  He used the ointment to "wean" me off the cortizones cremes, and in the process, it also pretty much got rid of the dermatitis.  Look forward to this coming on the market soon!
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Teresa:

Having become a first-time grandpa myself three days ago, you have my sympathy.

Eczema is very frustrating, especially in very young children.  Watching them itch is enough to drive a parent (or grandparent!) crazy.  Tacrolimus, as you note, is not yet available, but to be frank, I would not look forward to it as to some kind of miracle cure.  More likely, it will be of mild benefit.

Meantime, I would keep the skin moist, the nails short, and apply mild hydrocortisone creams as prescribed by your grandson's doctor.  Keep in mind that 1) srctach marks rarely get infected; 2) they do not scar; and 3) as kids get older, the condition gets much more localized if it doesn't go away altogether.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions