Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Itching from sun

I have read the other questions posted about itching from being in the sun, however mine is a little different.  I am from the Midwest and 2 times during the past 1 1/2 years I have gone to Florida.  While there, both times after a few days out in the sun (I used a sunscreen of 4 and was out in the sun for long periods of time) I wasn't really sunburnt and I didn't have any sort of rash but I developed the most unbearable itching almost all over my body.  It was so intense and there was nothing I could do to ease the pain.    I was unable to go out into the sun after that.  I have never had this happen before except when I went to a tanning bed, I only went about 5 times and twice developed this itching so I have not gone in over a 1 1/2 years.  During the last year I was able to be out in the sun in Chicago and did not develop any reaction.  I am going to Jamaica in 1 month and am terrified my vacation will be ruined.  What is causing this and what can I do to prevent it from happening again while still being able to enjoy the beach and the sun?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am so glad to hear that someone else has experienced this Katie!  If I go to the tanning bed, it will feel like my nerve endings are on fire even if there is no rash or redness.  The only thing I can do is lay on ice packs for two days until it is gone.  Everyone I have mentioned it to looks at me like I am crazy.  Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.
Helpful - 1
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Not sure, Katie.  You may be describing some sort of sun hives or allergy.  The best advice I can give you is to use a sunblock with SPF 30 (not 4), one with UVA plus UVB protection, and ask your docotr ofr a prescription for an antihistamine that won't put you to sleep, like Claritin or Allegra.  Take this (or Benadryl if you can't reach your doctor) a couple of days before your vacation, and every day during.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 1
521344 tn?1212027589
A related discussion, SKin ithing after sun tan.... was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions