Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Decoloration in both my right and left palms

Hello Dr. I noticed couple of weeks ago, a sort of decoloration in my left and right palms. My palm typically is quite rose/pink in color and I noticed this symmetrical patch of areas first under both left and right thumbs, which are less pink and slightly white ( very light white ). You have to peer to notice this. I also noticed similar areas in my right index finger and upper part of right middle finger. I also noticed such very small patch in both my little fingers. The biggest patch is right under my thumbs whihc is about 2 cm in diameter. I dont have any such decoloartions in any other parts of my body. I checked with my primary care physician first who mentioned that this could vitiligo and referred me to the dermatalogist. I checked with the dermatalogist who mentioned that it is less likely vitiligo and more of hypopigmentation and prescribed an ointment to be applied. He felt that this could due to some friction aginst a rubber surface or against my laptop computer or such thing and asked me not to worry.My blood tests were negative for any kind of disease and is being checked for thyroid condition which most likely will be negative as well. I just wanted your opinion on this.. Given the above information, do you still think it could be vitiligo? My hair started greying when I was about 20 and my father also had grey hair when he was young. But I cant recall of anyone in my family having vitiligo.

Your clarification will be immensely helpful to me put rest my fears. I have however resorted to a heavily fruits/juice based diet and am taking solid vegetarian food only once or twice a day. I have decided to avoid coffee, tea, fats, sugars etc fearing that I might be dealing with vitiligo here..

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Sree
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Mi
Hi

I have some pimples on my face since few months.  I have used
clearsil Tinted treatment cream but what happens is when I put
cream on pimple it dries away but the new one comes besides it.
It also leaves black spots.  I hateto see my face in
the mirror.

I'll appreciate your help.
Thanks.

Rashmi

Helpful - 0
Dr.

Thank you very much for your response. So is it your opinion that Vitiligo typically starts in other parts of the body such as elbow, arms, and other joint parts, face etc? This is just to reassure myself once for all. I have become quite paranoid of late and keep observiing my palms often to see if the hypopigmented area spreads or not. Usually I am not able to see too much of the hypo pigmented areas during the day, but it is most visible after I take my shower in the morning and the hands are somewhat dry. I could see small and not so small patches in my palms as well as on top of my fingers ( inside ). My dermatalogist has given me an ointment to apply in these areas and to consult with him in July. Do you have any comments on the above?

Thanks always..

Regards

Sree
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yup--don't look too hard!

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think your dermatologist is right in saying this is not likely vitiligo.  Vitiligo usually appears on the hands or elbows, over bony prominences, or on the face.  You most likely have temporary and partial loss of pigment, perhaps from mild and unrecognized inflammation.

The best treatment for that is time--over a few months, the color tends to come back on its own.  Dietary and other changes don't make much difference.

If the problem perists or spreads, I suggest you see your dermatologist again.  A Woods Light (ultraviolet) can be a helpful diagnostic too.  But I doubt that you have vitiligo.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions