Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

White Patches On Skin

My girl is 4 years old. I am Asin Indian and My wife is from Philipines.  We were in South India (where it is vry hot) in March 2002 for a visit. My child (2yrs 9 months) developed some blisters. The Dr said it was probably Mosquito bite - ruling out measels. My child has been upto date on vaccines. She had a blister in her lower buttocks. When the blister healed ( it looked like diaper rash) it left a white spot. It is about twice the size of a quarter with a spot in the middle - the spot being her original color of her skin. I spot seems to be of the same size - did not fade - doesnot seem to grow noticable. A week ago we went to Miami Fl where the child was in the beach sun for couple of hours in and out of the water. The sun was strong enough to cause her skin noticable darker for couple of days. She slowly turned back to her normal complexion. But I notice two or three spots of lighter color in her upper arms.  The color is not drastically different like the one I described above. When I touched one of the spots,  it is  a bit rough just at the spot. Is there any thing to worry. Is there anything I can do to help her get back the normal complexion? ( She is lighter brown in color). Thanks.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear,
I
Helpful - 0
Here is an article that might be of assistance.  

http://www.healthlibrary.com/reading/ncure/chap64.htm

Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Children often get a condition called pityriasis alba.  These produces mild roughness and temporary under-coloration, just as you describe.  Tanning highlights the color change, which is temporary and self-limiting.  You can get rid of the bumpiness with hydrocortisone 1% (over the counter in US).  Once the skin is smooth, the color change will take care of itself.  I don't think the mosquito bite/blister is related.  That white spot from that should also go away, if it hasn't already.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions