Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

folliculitis

I have this problem that has bee affecting me for a period of time. this is every now and again red pimples  with pus will appear on my legs,they will appear on the right and then on the left in the identical spot to the other. they burn or itch when they come up but when they finally go they leave me  with a lot of dark spots. i went to two dermotologists who told me this was folliculitis. He prescribed Cleocin-T Lotion, a Hydroquinone USP skin bleaching cream and Minocycline 50mg capsules but this has very little effect i have been back numerous times but there is not much results.The spots are still thereand more are added.Iam tired of seening my skin like this as it started affecting me in my much older years,this has resulted in me shying away from certain styles. my question is if this is folliculitis can this be permanently cured? and how can i clear the spots? and how much will this cost. As when they appear on my skin they are irritating when the rub on my clothes please tell me what to do? i need help fast.thanks in advance.
Amigo
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Anyone looking for a dermatologist can go to www.aad.org, the website of the American Academy of Dermatology.  Under "Find a Dermatologist," you can click on the region you're in, or search by name.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Thanks doctor for your assistance.I truly appreciated it,i would however like to know what are  the requirements of being a patient so that i could be assisted by you.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You can get help for this, but you'll need to be patient, Amigo.

Folliculitis is common enough to be basically normal.  Lots of people get red spots, especially on their legs.  Treatment is difficult and often ineffective.  Also, the redness hangs around, and if you mess with the pimples, it hangs around even longer.

In my experience what works best is to cleanse with an antiseptic cleanser daily and to apply an antibiotic ointment like bacitracin both to the pimples and to the nostrils.  This is because staph germs live normally in the nose of many people and do not cause symptoms there, but do seed the body elsewhere.  To get rid of these germs you need to give them a nightly bath in bacitracin for several months--just apply the ointment with your finger.

You should consult with a dermatologist as well, since an initial boost for a week or two with an oral antibiotic may help too.

But you will need to be patient, as I said.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions