Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Petechiae

Lower legs are bothered by petechiae.  What kind of doctor do I need to confer with.  Lower legs have the bleeding capillaries looking like paprika sprinkled all over.  This has been going on for about 17 or 18 years.  Some doctors say it is because I am taking coumadin (since 1987) but the condition started before that.  It is progressing pretty fast right now.  Was once diagnosed as Schamberg's Disease, but only by 1 dermatologist.  It doesn't hurt, but is tingly when new places erupt, and was all around the ankle area and just a little way up the leg, but is now getting pretty close to the knee area.  After the redness is there for awhile it turns blue/brown.  I would like to find someone who knew what it really was, what causes it, and what to do about it.
Thank you,
Lovey
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Amen.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much, Dr. Rockoff.  I guess I may as well stop fretting about the way my lower legs look and wear hosiery or use Derma-Blend Cover Creme.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You are doing a good job of describing Schamberg's disease, an annoying but unimportant condition characterized by tiny re-brown spots on the legs.  Cause is unknown, course chronic, treatment unavailable, but systemic significance nil.  I think you should take the word of the dermatologist you saw, or perhaps get another opinion if you need reassurance.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions